NASA re-creates historic earthrise photo on Apollo 8 anniversary, in video form

[Permalink]

“Calm down, Lovell.” That’s hilarious.

If they hadn’t had a camera that allowed the film type to be changed mid-roll, they wouldn’t have been able to change films fast enough to catch it. Score one for Hasselblad.

5 Likes

That really sounded like a line from “Big Bang Theory”. It will enter my lexicon of stock phrases, possibly replacing, “Ripley you’ve just blown the transaxle, you’re just grinding metal. Ease down, Ease down.”

2 Likes

A Hasselblad became Sweden’s first satellite in 1966 during the Gemini 10 mission when Collins’ Hasselblad camera worked itself free and drifted off into orbit.

Anyway, this is really nice.

2 Likes

Oh, come ON, NASA! These ones aren’t even good fakes! It’s like they’re not even trying these days. CGI has ruined everything…

2 Likes

George Walton Lucas! You get out of that NASA video editing room RIGHT NOW!

2 Likes

Wow, in retrospect it’s surprising that they weren’t more prepared for that shot; that it wasn’t one specific goal of the mission.

2 Likes

It’s also cool that he called out the camera settings for the shot. Tell someone on the street, “two-fifty at f/11” and it’s unlikely they’ll know what the hell you’re talking about.
That’s some great footage. Both that “Earthrise” image and the “Blue marble” image have stayed with me ever since I can recall seeing them, so it’s nice to hear how important it was to the astronauts. Gotta say, that’s badass–rushing for the camera to grab a shot of Earth rising over the moon…beats my crappy sunsets any day of the week.

2 Likes

I’m glad they did that too. I’ll have my camera correctly set up when I get the chance to snap an Earth-rise :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this, one of the greatest photographic images ever taken. Amazing new insight into how it was made.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.