Near-Death Experiences examined scientifically

[Permalink]

Scientists … ruining everything since 1610.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of curious parallels between NDEs and hallucinogenic experiences…

1 Like

Good point. Not many in modern world would argue that shrooming brings you to god’s doorstep.

I saw Sam Parnia for a pulmonology appointment, and liked him so much I tried to return to him as my regular pulmonologist a couple of years later. He was not available any longer because of he left the practice to work in NDE research. After visiting a different doctor at the same practice, I struck up a conversation with the office staff there and they said that they really missed him and that he was a great doctor.

I saw him speak at the TEDx conference at Stony Brook this year about NDE research, but he seems really struggling to convey to people what might be happening, as most people are firmly believe that there is a real world out there that is exactly as we perceive it. And so there is a lot of layers of the onion to peel back to explain how a perception of another sort could also be real.

The video from his TEDx talk is not posted but here is another one with him.

2 Likes

If my pulmonologist was studying near-death experience, I think I would be relieved to see him go.

1 Like

Ha ha. Guess it’s true, should be breathing a sigh of relief that he wouldn’t accept me anymore.

I think the issue arises because people wrongly presume death to be a moment.
Death is not a moment, it is a process.

I dunno. My NDE was nothing like any of my 'shrooming experiences.

1 Like

Science, and certainly many who dogmatically follow science as the antidote to religion, believe that science can explain everything given enough time and sensitive enough instruments to measure the presently unexplained. Those of this particular persuasion use this as part of an argument against unexplained phenomena, and some use this position to marginalize those who are unconvinced.

As someone who lives in a haunted house, I have been called some pretty unscientific names by some who I have made the mistake of telling of my families experiences in the three years we have lived here.

My wife and I are well educated people who are sober and analytical in our approach to our world and what we experience, yet keep having odd and puzzling things happening in the house on a regular basis.

Of course, there could be a perfectly scientifically explanation for the phenomenon of haunted houses, which we just don’t have the means to explain yet… not that that makes it any less creepy for now, but it’s still possible.

1 Like

Hypoglycemia caused the world around me to get really bright white, like super overexposed. To me that was a bright light experience or at least one plausible explanation for it.

PSA: Don’t shoot up insulin on accident kids!

Why does this need studied? It’s obviously heaven, there is a whole book about it.

What about DMT?

You don’t hang out with a lot of stoners do you?

In my experience, the folks who are into hallucinogens can’t shut up about how spiritual it is, and how it brings you closer to god or whatever their particular flavor of supernatural belief is.

Ketamine is also capable of recreating many of the dissociative feelings associated with NDEs.

Or bringing the Many-Angled Ones out of the fucking walls.

Yeah, my DMT experience blew my shrooming experiences into the weeds.

DMT + FMRI, should = some answers. Or at least, better questions.

Yep, I agree, but in the meantime don’t use that argument to marginalize my experience and my search to find answers outside of newtonian mechanics.(not that you personally were.)

No, I wasn’t, but I get what you mean.