Neurological differences don't necessarily mean impairment

Cannabis-induced psychosis is fairly well studied. You almost certainly have met someone who becomes incredibly paranoid after smoking pot (extreme paranoia is after all, a psychotic event). There is a lot of literature on the link between schizophrenia and pot (both ways, schizophrenics are more likely to smoke pot and pot smokers are more likely to become schizophrenic). Now it might not be causal, but they are linked, so seeing stories like that isn’t abnormal. The fact is, we don’t know if people who have psychotic breaks after smoking pot would have had them later without it.

4 Likes

From USA Today…
“The research was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health as well as the Office of National Drug Control Policy and Northwestern Medicine’s Warren Wright Adolescent Center.”

So much for unbiased research. As an educator, I’m beginning to believe that it is impossible to TEACH critical thinking. It is a state of mind --a questioning mind.

2 Likes

This guy has a really devastating takedown of the study:

Does researching casual marijuana use cause brain abnormalities?

2 Likes

Cannabis-induced psychosis is fairly well studied.

That’s a crock. Marijuana is not “fairly well-studied” in the first place because of the idiotic restrictions the drug war zealots have placed upon it.

And, for every bullshit study that claims that pot gives you “reefer madness”, there’s others that show it doesn’t.

This very thread is about yet another bogus “study” that’s being used by idiots to support the drug war, fer christ’s sake.

You almost certainly have met someone who becomes incredibly paranoid after smoking pot (extreme paranoia is after all, a psychotic event).

That’s shrill. I get the feeling you haven’t been around a lot of average pot smokers. In reality, I’ve never met anyone who has become “incredibly” paranoid, nor what any rational person would call “extremely” paranoid.

Actually, the majority of the mild paranoia I’ve witnessed is from the fact that we have an idiotic drug war and marijuana users get legitimately concerned about getting busted.

Here in the first world part of the USA in Denver, CO most people around here are quite relaxed after partaking in pot because they don’t have fear injected into them by drug war idiots like we see in lesser cities and states.

Yes, marijuana can give someone feelings of paranoia, but in a healthy environment, the effects are minimal or non-existent for most users.

1 Like

That’s a very US centric view. Not all research is conducted inside the US. Drug laws around the world vary. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=netherlands+schizophrenia+cannabis&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=JuJQU8idEoOb0QXPlIDYBg&ved=0CCUQgQMwAA

Is just the first example that came to mind.

that’s a very US centric view.

No, it’s not. Marijuana is illegal in much of the world and it hampers research worldwide.

Try again.

Educate yourself:

And, once again… sigh… For every bullshit study that claims that pot gives you “reefer madness”, there’s others that show it doesn’t.

3 Likes

It’s legal in North Korea. How interesting. I suppose that’s at least something to dull the pain.

1 Like

Pot had an evolving effect on my mental state. When I first started to use it, the high was dumb, gigglely, mind-altering fun. This was the effect for the first few years, whenever I would partake.

However, I started to have panic attacks on it, where I would get extreme dry mouth and what felt like uneven heartbeat, as well as general unease.

I tried several kinds, of differing strengths, and in decreasing amounts, but I lost my ability to enjoy being high. I can still remember how great the feeling of a good high was, which is a bit frustrating.

I guess there is always alcohol :stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds to me from listening to your anecdotal experience, you shouldn’t be taking any recreational drugs, especially alcohol. If you can’t handle pot at any strain or dose, there’s very likely something neurological and/or psychological going on under the hood there.

Then again, for all I know you developed some sort of allergy to some ingredients within marijuana. There’s always going to be someone who can’t even touch a peanut without dying. Regretfully, because of our ridiculous drug war, it’d probably be difficult for you to get tested for this in regards to marijuana.

Fortunately, unlike alcohol, you probably found it easy to quit consuming pot like most people do if they choose to do so for whatever reason.

1 Like

Ya, weed wasn’t addictive in the least, even when I was enjoying it.

As for the alcohol, you will have to pry it from my cold, dead(possibly from liver failure) fingers. :wink:

Edit: Regarding my aversion to weed, it is hard to say if it is a physical or mental problem. I suppose if I did a blind drug trial without my knowledge, using a small amount of THC, and suffered none of the ill effects I described, it could be reasoned that I am just subconsciously sabotaging myself.

1 Like

I’d lean towards the self-sabotaging side of things. Don’t think double-blind drug trials, think set and setting. When you were inhaling cannabis, think of where and with whom and if those were also heightened/unwelcome/uneasy circumstances. When there’s the real possibility of going to jail for “doing something recreationally”, the anxiety levels can easily wade in high waters.

It was not a bullshit study claiming it caused reefer madness, it was a link to every study that came up on google for the terms “netherlands” “schizophrenia” and “cannabis” where, if you look, were quite reasonable studies with moderate conclusions.To claim it’s not being studied is false, and your lovely wikipedia list does not cover exceptions for medical study, nor does it talk about medical marijuana, because it is a list about recreational legality. You’re the one being disingenuous here.

To claim it’s not being studied is false

Well, it’s a good thing I didn’t make that claim then. Go back and read my posts. Stop disingenuously misrepresenting my claims and speak for yourself.

You’re the one being disingenuous here

Please stop projecting.

it was a link to every study that came up on google for the terms “netherlands” “schizophrenia” and “cannabis”

Which is lame. If you want me to take a study seriously, you’re going to need to point to it specifically instead of spamming a carpet bomb of Google results.

That way we can discuss the methodologies of specific studies. Otherwise, please don’t whine about my “lovely” Wikipedia link.

1 Like

Aaaah, the amount of copies of that book I’ve given folks to try and provide some sort of prophylaxis for their brains to keep out the Secret, and the fucking Celestine Prophecy, et al. Do they read it? Do they bollocks. Last time I did it, upon asking what the recipient thought of it, and I quote, “I gave up, it was full of all this weird, complicated science shit”. Gah.

1 Like

Very important. Gravity-fed draught beer would be wrong.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.