Boomers find brain boost in bong rips: slashes risk of self-reported cognitive decline by 96%

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/05/boomers-find-brain-boost-in-bong-rips-slashes-risk-of-self-reported-cognitive-decline-by-96.html

8 Likes

Or do they just not notice decline because they’re high?

32 Likes

Or in my case, can’t speak a complete sentence. Self reporting is tough!

18 Likes

My hypothesis is that over time, being stoned gives you practice in how to mentally function while impaired. That skill carries over somewhat to how you adapt to changes in an aging brain.

23 Likes

Was this a test to see how many Boing-boing readers are too stoned / old to notice the repeat story?

The journal is from a garbage predatory publisher, so add salt to taste.

27 Likes

Placebo weed is the best weed?

10 Likes

“self reported cognitive decline” decreases after individuals do drugs, you say? hrm. I am no fan of DARE or just say no but seriously? the conclusion is Pot may boost the brain? and not being high may make you under report cognitive decline?

11 Likes

Do your own research!

11 Likes

Sorry, I was too wasted to remember to fill out the form…

10 Likes

This is nothing but anecdata, but when I was using medical marijuana to try to manage chronic pain, one of the bonuses at the dispensary was that I would almost always get free weed (which was nice because it ain’t cheap), because the stoned/very stoned employees almost always screwed up my order. But yep, otherwise a real brain booster.

ETA for clarity: The mistakes didn’t necessarily involve giving me too much. Usually not enough or not what I ordered, and the manager would make it up to me by giving more of what I actually ordered.

10 Likes

my exact thought. This wording seems like the study’s authors were telegraphing their joke

“ reduced the chances of reporting subjective cognitive decline by 96% compared to non-users. ”

9 Likes

I’m just fine, but I can’t find the address to report it.

7 Likes

I’m researching, right now!

15 Likes

Where do I sign up?
Do I have to wait??

7 Likes

Hey now, I looked at the article and it makes no mention of “bong rips.” There is a gulf between bong rips and a couple hits off a joint.

5 Likes

You do have to be in Canada.

10 Likes

Am I high?

I think I read this story recently.

8 Likes

:joy: As soon as I saw this, the song started playing in my head. Woof down the beer.
Better yet…

13 Likes

Im reducing my chances of reporting subjective cognitive decline right now.

11 Likes

A stoner friend managed a dispensary, and the employees’ not giving a shit just about did his head in. He loves weed, but is very conscientious re: work, so they infuriated and depressed him. He’s normally a bright and cheery fellow, but every time we saw him while he had that job, he was either quiet and sombre, or silent and obviously sad.

He is now managing a Gucci store.

I imagine he has no problems affording his ganja.

5 Likes