New materials officewear: dirt-shedding, hydrophobic, breathing, stretchy, odor-absorbing

And it could be helped significantly just with a lick of paint:

also: Sites without favicons make people sad.

Shame they don’t come in real-people sizes. I was actually pretty excited to buy their product, but maximum 38-inch waist is…not realistic.

Oh, well, fuck 'em.

I can’t remember the last pair of pants I owned that didn’t rip open at the crotch inside of three years. I would love a pair of pants like this, if only they came in real-people sizes.

Got links to any of those, or to William Gibson’s Twitter? I’m very much interested in pants that don’t have the aforementioned crotch and size problems.

Thanks for uploading the site in its entirety… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good old linen shirts here - come up with a fabric that looks, feels, and otherwise wears like linen and doesn’t require the severe attention to how you wash, dry, and iron it and they’ve got my money. So far these improvements seem more “performance” than “quality of life” if that makes sense.

If, as I do, you like to ride your bike to work, pants with a little bit of stretch are awesome. On a similar note, as an engineer, I sometimes feel it incumbent upon me to dress “business casual” at work, but I also often have to crouch down under machines and do things other than sitting in a chair of strolling around the office. In general, slacks that fit me well enough not to look like total crap are at risk of splitting and/or crushing my 'nads if I’m not careful about doing anything involving a wider range of motion than sitting in a chair.

1 Like

It is imperative that you start to break the mold of “business casual” by wearing whatever you want. Future generations will thank you, even if they don’t know who to thank. This is my business casual for today, and once you start something your colleagues will benefit from not having to satisfy some idiotic preconception of what you do business in.

2 Likes

I work at a big company. I can’t change that much myself, and doing as you suggest would be nice for future generations, but it would also significantly affect my advancement opportunities, and, while there are many fights I would and do pick out of altruism, that one’s pretty far down the list.

2 Likes

Word man, I understand.

I work in a similar place, but we are “creative” staff so we get a bit of a free ride compared to others in the same building (which I find impossibly stupid considering we are all people doing a job). Anyway peeps, if you can: wear stuff that poses challenges to your work dress code. No one has pulled me up on it ever, except jealous colleagues making comments to point out that I’m not following the rules. Fuck those people.

Classic office casual for me - anything I damn well feel like (up to and including the black flag “Make me come, faggot” tee, the nirvana “satan worshiping fudge packing” tee, and many other highly objectionable choices, I collect 'em) with a suit jacket over the top until I get into my own office. After that, you’re in my office and god kills a kitten every time you whine about some shit I don’t care about in there :grin:

Now, more people don’t live in England than did. Ergo, styles have changed and the luxury of climate control and urban convenience have given way to abstractions. I like the new fabrics and sleek styles and have no problem seeing their infinite creativity in action.

I dunno about the rest of you but my office wear needs don’t include mid air backflips

Aside from that the catch copy of “inspired by jets” and “born from space suits” tells me they are looking for a different kind of customer than myself.

people will soon discover the big downside of hydrophobic fabrics, if they are not already familiar with it from using “technical” “active wear”. hydrophobicity is pretty nice when you’re actually wearing (and sweating) in the garment. doesn’t work too well when you want to wash it. you need special detergents and more rinsing to wash the stuff as well as regular fabrics. if you go for the low to mid-range of the fabric pricing range (as anyone with dozens of “race shirts” can testify), you find that after 3 or 4 reasonably heavy sweat experiences, ordinary washing never really gets rid of the odors.

the lifecycle may be different for clothes that you don’t really actively sweat in, but we all still have armpits. if you down this route make sure to buy the right detergents for this sort of fabric, and rinse/wash ASAP to prevent ammonia based odors from accumulating.

2 Likes

There is actually a group working on making wool dress shirts

Am I the only one who sees this and thinks Leisure Suit Larry?

3 Likes

I was wondering how these fabrics washed, and also if these fabrics (which I think are “normal” fabrics impregnated with hydrophobics?) are vulnerable to mechanical wear - ie if you sit on the hydrophobic shirt-tail or routinely use your shirt pocket does the coating wear off and lead to uneven garment wear / performance.

edit - that said their stated policy is customer friendly for skeptics.

• I’ll believe it when I see it. Seriously… can I see the clothes in person?

Absolutely. Our free shipping and returns policy makes it easy to try on some MoS gear in the comfort of your own home for maximized convenience… or if minimizing human interaction happens to be your thing.

and

• Are returns and/or exchanges a hassle?

Email Q@ministryofsupply.com if you’d like to make a return or exchange.

We accept returns or exchanges for a whole 188 days (That’s over 6 months, or ½ a year, for those of you keeping score at home). We pay for shipping (both ways on an exchange), and packages even come with a return label to maximize non-hassleness. It’s almost, dare we say it, downright convenient.

Really?!?! Now that’s a company having a lot of fun!

1 Like

I have some “odour-absorbing” sportswear, from a “premium” brand.

Trouble with synthetics is, no matter how hard you try, no matter what you do, they end up with some stank. It just seems to embed in there.

What we need is “odour destroying” - silver threads?

I am mainly immensely impressed with the odourlessness of wool these days. Synthetics are great for wicking sweat, wool is pretty good at that but doesn’t seem to smell bad after three days without changing.

Just sayin’

Shirts need ironing now? When did that start? Huh.

6 Likes

:slight_smile: On the third read, “untrustworthy” morphed into “trustworthy.” Believing is seeing.