NewYearsResolution: Avoid InCaps

Been there, done that, doubt you have.

3 Likes

Oh, hey, does this mean you’re going to stop adding paid Amazon referral links to every product you mention? No, I’m kidding, I already know the answer.

12 Likes

I work in marketing.

Still cranky? Awwwww

Not only that, but…

iOS runs on your phone
IOS runs on your core routers
Ios is the plural for Io, the Jovian moon. Not sure how often I’ll need to use that in a conversation, but whatevs.

Get off your high horse and relax a bit.

17 Likes

I wondered about bell hooks/Bell Hooks and e.e. cummings and the like, too. Although I freely admit I never know quite how to feel about writing their names that way myself, so it’s not like the Doctorow Doctrine will really mess things up for me if it catches on.

I get that this was probably just conversation-bait, and not an actual expression of a personal belief or conviction, but I wonder if we’ll get an answer? Might as well flesh out the rules.

1 Like

@Lexicat, would you provide some examples of the context in which one would use iPhone 5s and when one would use Apple’s mobile phone?

No. No I won’t.

I agree with Professor Doctorow. We shall overcome the tyranny of branding in 2014!

A few excerpts from Dr. Doctorow’s righteous upcoming bestseller, Dr. Prof. Doctorow’s Take Back the Style Guide:

• Lady Gaga: Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. (Because
    I’m not your personal handbill, lady Germanotta.)
  • Elvis Costello: Declan Patrick MacManus. (I refuse to
    shill for a double imposter!)
  • eBay: Electronic Bay. (And you’re not really even a “bay,”
    so I’m cutting you a lot of slack.)
  • Google: Googol. (Don’t be cutely evil.)
  • Netflix: Internet Flicks. (How dare you portmanteau on my
    $8 a month.)
18 Likes

I just realized that the logical next step for Cory is to start saying “Micro$oft” and “U$A”. This should be fun.

1 Like

I sort of understand where the criticism in the first comment was coming from and why it could be so popular but could one of the many people who liked post 5 please explain to me why any of the pictures posted in any way strengthens, or even represents, the criticism?

1 Like

On the one hand, I agree that using internal caps in the first place is an ugly and annoying practice. On the other, it’s a ship that sailed a long time ago, and it makes useful distinctions once in a while, boosts clarity, and signals to the reader that the writer is careful.

iPhone is clear, which is about all that it has going for it–but that’s all it needs to have going for it. As others have mentioned, Iphone looks like a typo. And “Apple’s mobile phone” is a wordy and unnecessary replacement.

I dunno. A lot more people pay to read Cory’s writing than pay to read mine, so maybe he’s onto something, but this seems like a pretty silly hill to die on.

3 Likes

He makes a point of saying that it should be “Who Represents (www.whorepresents.com)” and not “WhoRepresents.com”, but then the Twitter bio says “Official BoingBoing.net feed”. Shouldn’t it be boingboing.net? It also seems silly to be complaining about brands and their use of capitalization when Boing Boing used to be bOING bOING.

1 Like

As many have said, this is about Proper Nouns, Emphasis, and according entities the dignity of referring to them by their preferred name - it’s not about a blow for your independence against The Man (to whom you would pointlessly and confusingly refer as “the man”).

You want to say that Koch Industries is a scum-sucking, labor-busting, enthusiastically polluting hive of public corruption in the service of enriching a few people who’ve already got more money than sense? Do it! I’ll stand up and cheer! But do it referring to them properly, as Koch Industries - if you do it as koch industries you’re just making an ass of yourself and impairing readers’ comprehension in order to make a petty point. It is no better than calling them C*ck Industries, and no more useful in communicating your intended points.

3 Likes

Not capitalizing e e cummings’s name is free advertising and letting poets dictate language!

2 Likes

Cory isn’t against advertising, he’s just selective about free advertising. Look how much free advertising he constantly gives to Disney, or is it?

3 Likes

Well, but, see, that’s paid advertising.

Cory isn’t objecting to paid advertising; boiNG boiNG runs on paid advertising. Cory just doesn’t want to give away free advertising.

Cory obviously doesn’t mind shilling for megacorps. He just wants to be paid to shill.  : -)

I presume he’d be happy to intercap iOS correctly if Apple would just pay him to do so.   : -)

2 Likes

I’m pretty boggled by this whole idea. In order to not “advertise” for companies, you will talk about them just as much and in the same manner, but you will miscapitalize their names and their products’ names. Okay? Does anyone read a scathing article on iPhones and after seeing that the product’s name was typed in the standard fashion say, “Wait a minute! If they actually didn’t agree with or work for the company, they’d ignore the capitalization used in the product’s name! These horrible condemnations must really be ringing endorsements of the product!” (“Well, this article SAYS there’s no War on Christmas and that Bill O’Reilly is completely wrong but it’s really an advertisement because they didn’t write ‘Oreilly.’”)? I think it’s more likely that people would brush off the words of a writer who doesn’t even know how to capitalize “iPhone” correctly (because who would assume a word is wrong due to a deep political agenda?).

Edited to add: even in your extreme example above, I’m not jumping out of my chair to buy BP after reading an article about their oil spills, even if it has logos in it or - gasp - InCaps.

3 Likes

I wonder what the CEO of MakieLab* thinks of this.

*Alice Taylor, wife of Cory Doctorow.

6 Likes

Uh, did you see where it said “bOING bOING”? Each word has random caps in it.

I’d contend that art is a creative pursuit and as such gets more of a free pass than an entirely commercial pursuit.

The fact that people are so upset that Cory would dare question the “authority” of the word iPhone is testimony to how effective their marketing has been.

1 Like