This dump of Iphone-cracking tools shows how keeping software defects secret makes everyone less secure

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/03/this-dump-of-iphone-cracking-t.html

2 Likes

The dump reveals that Cellebrite seemingly repackages untested and unaudited jailbreaking tools as lawful interception products and sells them to repressive regimes.

This seems entirely proper.

2 Likes

::squints eyes::

I’m not sure who the bad guy is here…

1 Like

Gratuitous DRM reference thrown in? Check.

1 Like

And he still can’t spell iPhone or iOS correctly.

3 Likes

No honor among thieves!

2 Likes

Or he’s resisting the idiotic lowercase-first-letter naming convention spawned by aPple.

Vive La Résistance!!!

(I’ve hated that for years in case it isn’t obvious enough.)

2 Likes

Yes, he is. Cory’s spoken many times about his refusal to write brand names in the style they customarily appear in, because he feels it’s giving a product free advertising.

I don’t care: it’s incorrect.

8 Likes

It’s probably hard to stop the substitution once you get started down that road.

For instance I have the most amazingly difficult time saying “President Drumpf” correctly. Damn! I did it again!

“President turmpf” Nope
"Persident Trumble" Nope
"President Douche" Yay! I got it right that time! Er…Oops.

(Yeah, I know, childish of me. What can you do?).

3 Likes

That seems awfully silly to me. “Oh I’m not advertising because I call the iPhone an ‘Iphone’. See? Totally different!”

2 Likes

The letters are in the right order. Capitalization is not part of spelling, but rather part of grammar or, in this case, branding.

Edited to add: I’m not saying it’s not silly, but then i also think it’s silly to care so much about Cory doing it.

4 Likes

Not a single one of those sound like the correct one: President Bannon.

5 Likes

Silly me to care about spelling things properly, I know.

1 Like

According to the article Cory’s cited as his source, this same dump of cracking tools also seems to have exploits for Blackberries, Samsung phones, and others.

It’s interesting that Cory chooses to only mention the aPple exploits. (Look, I’m not giving them free advertisement! Activism for the win!)

3 Likes

I bet he lowercases e e cummings and bell hooks and danah boyd according to their preferences.

2 Likes

afaik this was only done by his publishers, he used the form “E. E. Cummings”

4 Likes

Well i don’t know about @doctorow, but i have a tendency to respect human beings’ preferences* more than those of multinational corporations.

* Noting @renke’s comment, i will try to start remembering to capitalize that particular poets name.

4 Likes

Nah, he only does it for Apple stuff. He was shilling something a couple weeks ago, I forget what, but it followed the same convention, and he had no problem with it.

1 Like

And yet my browser auto substituted all that as ‘el president fuckwit.’

1 Like

I want that browser plugin!!!