Spotify threatens to report Apple to competition regulators over App Store rejection

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Hey Cory - where did you cut and paste that info from? Itā€™s not Ios, itā€™s iOS. Also, I donā€™t think the ā€œjailbreakā€ discussion was relevant.

Itā€™s iOS according to the marketing dept. of Apple maybe, because they would love columnists to break grammatical conventions and essentially put a logo in every textual story about their product.

Itā€™s a product name. First letter should be capitalized. Ios. Coryā€™s absolutely right, and I believe this has been covered before on Boing Boing.

4 Likes

No, the proper name is ā€œiOSā€ actually. Whinge if you want but it is true.

A proper name is a proper name.

6 Likes

Yes, Cory has been very vocal about his refusal to type brand names or product names as they actually exist, due to his belief that using the same capitalization as the actual product is somehow giving them free advertising. Itā€™s an odd belief that heā€™s entitled to, even if it makes him grammatically incorrect and his stories read like they were badly edited after being cut-and-pasted.

6 Likes

Interestingly, the original version of this story on Recode included quotes from Spotify complaining (and I paraphrase) that Apple was preventing them from being able to properly compensate the musicians they represent.

Those quotes are now gone; Iā€™m not sure if someone realized how laughable it was for a company in the middle of lawsuits for repeatedly lying about how much they pay their musicians (if at all) to whine about not being able to give people money.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how apple is even allowed to call something ā€œiosā€, since there was already an operating system called ā€œiosā€ before the iphone even existed, ciscoā€™s ā€œiosā€ router and switch operating system.

I also donā€™t understand how apple can disallow third-party apps on their device. If I buy a computer, I expect to be able to download and install compatible executables from any source I choose.

3 Likes

bell hooks and Apple apparently disagree, tho.

2 Likes

Itā€™s also an acronym for idevice operating system. And therefore typing it in all caps is the correct style.

1 Like

And that same company (Cisco) was also making iPhones long before Apple.

1 Like

ā€œAllowed?ā€ Allowed by whom?

One assumes that Cisco has a deal with them over the name. Feel free to encourage Cisco to sue over a trademark though.

It is called an end user agreement. While I tend to agree, if you buy an iOS device, you know that you can only install Apple approved apps. If you donā€™t like it, donā€™t buy the device.

If @doctorowā€™s efforts bear fruit, this may change, but it is clearly the state of things at this point and has been for as long as theyā€™ve had apps.

I didnā€™t realize this would be the ā€œrecycle tired bitchy arguments about Appleā€ thread.

1 Like

Holy amateur copy editors, Batman!

I bet your own site is just flawless, right?

Also, welcome to boing boing.

7 Likes

Probably because Apple licensed the name from them in 2010. Cisco had also sued over the use of iPhone when it was first released and Cisco and Apple settled out of court a short time later.

1 Like

Humans have proper names. Corporations have logos.

5 Likes

bell hooks is a human. Apple is a corporation. They get different consideration.

4 Likes

For a general purpose computer, maybe yes. Idevices (and smartphones in general) are not general purpose computers, they are computing appliances. Accept this truth and you will be much happier that the manufacturer places restrictions on the device so that it it very hard to infect it with viruses or malware.

1 Like

You know whatā€¦ fair enough. I can see that argument.

2 Likes

and software?

That said, if it isnā€™t an autocorrect error and you are making an explicit personal decision to spell it that way, itā€™s your blog, man.

Iā€™m actually ok at this point with Apple not allowing third party apps when I knowingly choose that devices. Unlike my Android devices, my iPhone is under very little risk from malware because it isnā€™t rooted or jailbroken and all apps are required to be signed. I used to complain about this but after watching the Android security horror show, I made my peace.

I am a security professional who has to deal with this sort of thing every day for my work. @doctorow wonā€™t recognize this 'nym but he knows me at Mozilla. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not to speak for Cory, but I notice quite a lot of the same sort of brand-name ā€˜normalizationā€™ in the British press; they routinely spell acronyms as proper nouns (ā€œNasaā€; ā€œNatoā€) and Iā€™ve seen some of the same sort of disregard for intercaps and such (ā€œEbayā€, ā€œYoutubeā€). Not sure if his time there spurred that thinking.