Apple relents; Twitter is now X in the app store

Originally published at: Apple relents; Twitter is now X in the app store | Boing Boing

1 Like

I guess that would be good news for 23–33 more software developers depending on whether numerals are allowed. Then comes the inevitable run on punctuation marks.

Personally I’m holding out until Apple lets me launch an app whose name is a single empty space.

8 Likes

Not a chance I’m calling it X when they haven’t even managed to remove the word Twitter from their website.

4 Likes

I can’t wait for the inevitable trademark lawsuit between the company who’s app is named with the space character " " vs. the one named with the Hangul Filler “ㅤ”.

9 Likes

X tagline “Blaze your glory.”

glory GIF

7 Likes

I believe a blaze of glory is what one does when “going down” or “going out”…correct?

So, unwittingly (as always for Elon) appropriate

7 Likes

I think you mean 149,186 more software developers since Apply will obviously need to allow unicode names.

(149,186 is the number of named unicode characters as of v15 of the spec.)

7 Likes

@jlw The company changed its name to Exodus? That’s gotta be The. Worst. Name. for a company. I mean, in business journalism, what usually comes after the word ‘exodus’? The answer is, ‘of customers’. All these geniuses! What would we do without 'em?

3 Likes

I guess, from now on, it’s “icks”, and a single tweet is an “ick”.

2 Likes

Couldn’t they just have named it "X " I doubt Elon is a stickler for the appearance of messed up kerning that would occur, plus it would be the kind of faux-badboy bullshit he would love to snicker about with his little boys club.

the input to the system probably strips leading and trailing whitespace. that’s a pretty common thing to do. and apple probably doesn’t allow non breaking spaces, doubled whitespace, swear words, and a host of other things too

under the hood, their database probably doesn’t care, which is why they were able to make an exception. but the user inputs are definitely “sanitized” through their developer facing interfaces

3 Likes

They should have just put an E in front of it.

1 Like

http://💩.la

3 Likes

Ecks would have be more appropriate to my mind.

Is it case sensitive?
Imagine the chaos where I is a kid-friendly app and l is not.

1 Like

Previously you couldn’t even search the App Store with a single letter - so they not only changed their policy, they changed the infrastructure to allow it. Too bad - Elno made this change with things set up a particular way in the stores, and whether or not he knew that before making the change, it was entirely his problem after he did. Apple shouldn’t have made it their problem.

4 Likes

It would be freaking hilarious if they didn’t change it. It’s on the app store, one letter, perfectly installable if you can somehow find it, but you can’t search for it.

3 Likes

Yeah, earlier I was reading that people who were not hearing about the name change and deleting it from their phones (“I never installed any app called ‘X’…”) and then, when they later found out what it was, couldn’t even search for it in the store (except under “Twitter”), which was perfect. They really should have kept it like that, rather than going out of their way to save Elno from his series of screw-ups that led to that moment.

4 Likes

I’m claiming 

3 Likes

The App isn’t called ‘X’. It’s called ‘𝕏’. Ask your users to search for “MATHEMATICAL DOUBLE-STRUCK CAPITAL X”.

4 Likes