'No Gays Allowed' in this East Tennessee hardware store

Apparently some folks think that their religion consists of forcing other people to live in a particular way. Being an asshole to some stranger whose life has no impact on the believer, that’s a sacrament. So is throwing a pee-pants tantrum because people have free will.

9 Likes

One Savior, many names!! Now comes in a 6 pack!

1 Like

That doesn’t apply to American ‘Christians’ for the most part. I say this due to asshats like this one who get the press for being pricks to anyone different than them.

You’re asking that of someone who said, “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of freedom of speech & freedom of religion,” referring to gays, as if it made any damn sense at all.

6 Likes

There’s already something kinda like that. The Satanic temple. They’re what I like to call “dinner theater atheists” and spend a lot of time, money and effort demonstrating that the religious bigots want christian rights, not religious rights.

For instance, they’ve been fighting to put up Baphomet monuments next to courthouse Decalogues. If even a single christian objects to such a monument, they’re admitting to the fact that they don’t want religious equality or freedom at all. They want religious favoritism, like they’ve always had. The only reason they’re throwing tantrums now is because they’re actually starting to be treated equally, instead of better than everyone else.

15 Likes

Gays are like these “rights black holes” you see. You get within their event horizon, all the rights in the vicinity just get pulled right in and utterly destroyed. Best to stay a safe distance, otherwise the police will instantly appear and arrest you if you say anything or exercise any sort of religious belief.

2 Likes

Apparently sodomy is fine, as long as you’re not gay.

3 Likes

I agree with the sentiment. However this argument “Just go somewhere else” is used to justify discrimination.

It’s often not as simple as going somewhere else in small town America. That somewhere else might be an hour or more away…and involves the cost of gas. Even hardware can be an “emergency” issue if you need a part or a breaker to fix a critical appliance like a freezer or 'fridge. or even AC if you have elderly at home.

6 Likes

Not to mention butt chisels and joint compound. I’m just looking for a basic screw, and it’s getting harder and harder all the time.

3 Likes

[quote=“generic_name, post:28, topic:60875, full:true”]
Although I’d hate to put money in his pocket, it might be funny for all the local homosexuals to patronize the store, then AFTER they have paid for their goods, tell him “Oh, by the way, I’m gay”, see if he tries to take back the product and refund the money.
[/quote]Better option: Do a bunch of shopping, bring a cart full of items to the front, get them all rung up. Just as the last item is being rung up, have your friend stick his head in and yell, in a super-stereotypical flaming gay voice, “generic_name! This sign says we can’t shop here since we might gay up the place!”
See if he kicks you out. Even if he doesn’t, you just walk out yourself without buying. Best part - you just wasted a ton of the bigot’s time (don’t forget how long it takes to restock the shelves with a cart full of random items).

11 Likes

“Religious” folk are all the more confused because groups such as ACLJ (the American Center for Law and Justice, founded by Pat Robertson) have been propagandizing for decades to redefine freedom of religion and freedom of speech in the mind of the public. They are part of the long game being played that is hoped to lead America to a theocracy.
“Educating” the public is one way they hope to bring change, just as Rousas Rushdoony inspired the Christian home schooling movement to “educate” children to eventually usher in a future theocracy.

3 Likes

It’s OK, they’re just exercising their right to free speech. In fact, I’m sure they wouldn’t have a problem if you put up signs saying “No Christians” in your store.

8 Likes

If they are only buying male plumbing fittings, it’s a dead giveaway.

4 Likes

“I’m going to take more persecution than them because I’m standing for what I believe in,” Amyx said.

Son, the starting line for the persecution is many, many years back. But you’re welcome to try and catch up. Hope you have insurance.

5 Likes

Ha. Yes, but once someone has paid it will present a sort of bind for him-- it will very immediately remind him he is losing business: here is the money, coming back out of the till, going into someone’s hand. So then he will consider keeping the money and letting the homosexual customer keep the product. . . which means he has violated his core beliefs (I guess), but the world hasn’t come to an end, so there may be a lesson learned for him.

Dammit!

Anybody that buys large black caulk.

I dunno… I’m torn on this: Should we be giving his ilk attention? It’s not like people won’t patronize his store/start a political GoFundMe or what have you. It’s not that I even have an issue with people criticizing him, I just feel like he doesn’t deserve the publicity.

That scene has screwed up my brain sooo bad!

On the one hand, it’s tragic how the father tells his son that bigotry is just how the world is. He doesn’t say it’s wrong, or that it hurts people. Just “that’s how some people are”, and gives it no more thought. It feels just… heartbreaking that he’s not trying to impress upon the kid how sick that kind of thinking is.

But then it’s also, sort of, hopeful when he asks the kid what he doesn’t like and we get spiders, and Visigoths who don’t even exist anymore. So it’s like, a nice deflection. He’s not telling the kid who to hate so much as poking fun at the situation.

I’ve seen Life is Beautiful before though (in a Spanish class, pointing out the similarities between romance languages, and we were watching in Italian with Spanish Subtitles so we could hear and read the various differences and similarities) and boy howdy, it’s a heartwrenching film from beginning to end.

I need to see it again. That kind of film helps to keep me human.

3 Likes

To be honest, that’s the only part of the Constitution they seem to know by heart. All the other stuff doesn’t apply.

1 Like