Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

Surely will attact carnivorous ocean creatures with bad tempers and no respect!

2 Likes

subvert? No. Control in your own mind by labeling, demeaning, derailing, and otherwise objectifying that which you seem unready to approach as an equal, may be.

Not sure what that has to do with comics, though.

oh, well, maybe you should make just one point at a time if you so need others to know what was so important. Or use an ordered list, or you know, just get annoyed when people don’t read your mind and just stick to your words. Whatever blows your hair back. Whatever you deerve that I do not.

And maybe it could be on topic instead of about other commenters, since you’re so securely above it all that you can critiqué while remaing so clearly unimpacted by what is said.

Anything about comiccs? Or is this just about me now, and how well you know me? Because that is something you could start a whole thread about instead of further hijacking this one. Go for it! Show us how it is done by a time lord!

(also, your fixation on me is not -my- vanity, it’s -your- fixation) (but you know that on some level, you jut need me to take responsibility for it, it seems) (which is, by the way, rather similar to how comics wind up being sexualized, but I don’t think you came to discuss that)

@Falcor - I think this thread has run it’s course.(i’ve certainly muted any further notifications, so if any of y’all selions want more response/reaction from me, PM me like a non-coward would)

Are you kidding? This thread jumped the shark sometime yesterday afternoon. At this point, we may as well let it go for another 15 comments to get an even 500.

4 Likes

Oh, no, we MUST go comfort him, RIGHT NOW… I’m ready to give him lots of hugs.

Any idea why? the costume?

NOOOOO!!! This thread is my only friend!!!

7 Likes

Did you even read the article… because it looks like you just read the headline and flipped out.

2 Likes

3 Likes

You rang?

3 Likes

Whilst I disagree with TheRizz’s simplistic and ill-defined analysis I don’t think it is any more simplistic than female Thor = more sales.

The gender change of Thor is certainly not the only factor that could be at play. The publicity generated by it (referred to by TheRizz as “car wreck effect” could easily be a factor as could a change in the market for comics, increased awareness of the Marvel brand along with dozens of other environmental and product-specific marketing variables. There’s just not enough data available currently to support any given theory regarding the increased sales and pointing to one factor and say it is (or isn’t) responsible is, at best, misguided.

1 Like

There are others that are enjoying the thread.

Instead of asking that the thread be closed, you could… just watch? Go to another thread? Play a game? Marvel at the moisture that falls from the skies outside these very walls?

Wait. I thought we were Cultural Marxists.

We’re not?

9 Likes

I want to go to a Marxist disco!!!

Also…

6 Likes

Yeah, I know - it’s a stretch… I thought that would signpost the joke effectively.

1 Like

This has GOT to be from the 80s.

(I grew up near Sheffield, in the 80’s; back when getting into a disco might be expected to cost 50p)

1 Like

What’s sad is that someone thinks it’s true… ignoring the variety of political views around here. We’re a heterogeneous bunch up in these parts of cyberspace!

Come on people… we’re two… well, now 1 away from 500. Don’t disappoint me, please!

The best thing about this is that they seem to think they’re trolling us.

What’s really funny is that some people self-identify with it so strongly that they can’t accept a joke about it from one of their Guardian-reading own…