North Carolina House Republicans sneak abortion rules into motorcycle safety bill without notice

To reiterate, there is no audio for meeting and the bill was NOT on the committee calendar. #sneakattack #hb695 #ncpol #standwithNCwomen— Planned Parenthood (@PPHSNC) July 10, 2013 North Carolina House Republicans have, without notice, inserted sweeping changes to the state’s abortion rules into a motorcycle safety law. Effectively, they’ve reintroduced the abortion bill that Governor… READ THE REST

2 Likes

I think it would be ironic if it failed to pass because the “motorcycle safety” portion of the bill was viewed as infringing on people’s rights (i.e., “It’s our right not to wear helmets if we choose!”).

8 Likes

There isn’t any kind of federal oversight to slap these people?

1 Like

sickening and sad. my home state is turning into fucking texas.

1 Like

STATES RIGHTS! STATES RIGHTS!!!

The only federal oversight is Roe v. Wade, and to make a case there you pretty much have to go back to the Supreme Court, which could take a decade or more.

Oh FFS. The US needs a law (constitutional amendment, perhaps?) to the effect of “No law shall be introduced that creates legislation unrelated to the name, summary or main content of it”.

Sure, it’ll be fun getting the states to agree, but “protecting the people against government trickery” seems like an appropriate use of federal powers.

7 Likes

It never fails to depress me, how republicans legislators use such gutless, sneaky tactics to get their way - And then strut around afterwards, boasting of their “courage” and their “honesty”.

I generally don’t associate the idea of having a backbone with most politicians, but the fundaloonie brigades have taken it to a whole different level. I think that most working pols know that they’re devious liars and cowards, but when I look at the wingnuts…

The absolute disconnect from what they actually do, to what they afterwards expect everybody to believe they did - And seem to actually believe themselves that they did - It speaks volumes concerning the delusion and outright fraud that seems to be the driving force behind religious mania and wingnut’s sense of personal glory and entitlement. It’s like watching a three-year-old beg his mom to chase a fly out of his room, and an hour later he’s throwing a tantrum because nobody is congratulating him for having bravely killed a dozen dragons.

9 Likes

Sneaking new terms into a bill (proposed law) strikes me as fraud. In the business world, if a businessman (or a lawyer) sneaks a new term into a contract that the other party is not aware of, it’s called “fraud in the execution” (sometimes “fraud in the factum”). The fraud is grounds for making the contract void.

7 Likes

I don’t think I understand whether the Republicans in Norf Kakalaki and Tejas actually believe the stuff they are trying to usher in via sneak attack, or whether this is a ratings … er … votes thing for the next election?

you’re suggesting that the abortion bills in any state are anything but political grandstanding in an attempt to get reelected?

these people could give a shit about a fetus if they didn’t score more votes from them.

1 Like

Oh sure! Criticise them now that they’ve bent over backwards to act according to their deeply held morals and mores.

I can only imagine the shitstorm of criticism that would be slung their way if they just relaxed and didn’t pursue their agenda.

Those lazy good-for-nothings.

Uh, ok, but do they get a pass when their values stomp on the rights of others?

Technically, HB 695 was a bill intended to prevent Sharia Law from becoming enforceable in the state (http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/Bills/House/PDF/H695v4.pdf). Ironically, suppression of religious law led to legislating based on religious belief.

1 Like

There are some upsides to the proposed legislation, however. Under NC law, no baby would be allowed to be born without an approved full-face helmet. Sure, that’s probably just a sweetheart deal for the episiotomy industry, but there ya go.

3 Likes

That would be SO abused. Under separation of powers, it’s the executive’s job to enforce the laws / constitution. So, an amendment or law that said that would have to be enforced by the executive. They would then go all political, going after laws they don’t like for not being “named correctly.” but being passed legitimately.

I sure hope this is meant to be sarcastic.

To be perfectly fair, if motorcycles came from human wombs instead of factories… uh… okay, never mind.

Wait, I thought getting the economy on track was the highest priority? Apparently, we are vastly in need of more stringent vagina regulation. Accursed things have a tendency to get out of control and run amok!

1 Like

How the actual fuck is this shit legal?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s so sarcastic you could actually cut yourself on it…

1 Like