Nikki Haley won't kill you for having an abortion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/06/haley-wont-kill-you-for-having-an-abortion.html

3 Likes

Excited American Horror Story GIF by AHS

She’s trying to appeal to independents, so she’s pushing what she thinks is a centrist position on abortion. She’s just flat wrong.

21 Likes

This is why she’ll lose the nomination. The GOP base wants women punished for abortion.

17 Likes

So what should happen to women who defy the law to get an abortion, Nikki?

Very few Republicans seem willing to weigh in on that basic question. If abortion is really murder, then shouldn’t we treat those who get abortions as criminals? If you recognize that it is wrong to punish women with prison time then isn’t that a tacit admission that abortion is not the same thing as murder?

26 Likes

She’s also trying to sidestep having to state her actual position on abortion, which is more than a little cowardly. Her party’s position is “total ban” and that’s what so-called independent’s would be voting in favor of by voting for her.

23 Likes

“I will not be a part of demonizing this issue,” she added. “I think that I’ve watched Democrats, they have put fear in women.”

Putting a bounty on anyone helping a woman getting an abortion, that was Democrats? Prosecuting doctors, refusing rape victims an abortion, those are objectively terrifying actions that were not enacted by Democrats.

28 Likes

She is pro-life because her husband was adopted. I am an adoptive father who loves his daughter and will stand by all women’s right to make their own fucking decisions.

32 Likes

That’s the talking point anyway. I think we all know the real reason she is “pro-life“ is because she could not be a Republican in today’s GOP otherwise.

15 Likes

I thought she was pro-life because the GOP needed another victim to galvanize support against.

8 Likes

What fear have Democrats instilled in women, exactly, Nikki? All the demonizing, all the criminalizing, all the stigmatizing, it’s all happening on the other side of the aisle, last I checked. Why are we still listening to anything this person says?

15 Likes

Because she’s running for office against someone worse.

12 Likes

“So what should we do? I think we find consensus. Can’t we agree to ban late-term abortions?”

No we can’t.

First define late term.

And then No we can’t.

A ban would impact options for health care so No. Also abortions in the later parts of pregnancy are really uncommon (for many reasons).

It’s like these republicans think abortions are just something people do for fun. These are always complex and emotional decisions. The “Pro life” crowd has very clearly shown they won’t stop at small victories, so we must give them nothing.

26 Likes

Exactly. The liberal position was Roe. The centrist position was the viability standard put in place by Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

13 Likes

Not just abortion, for other things too, like believing themselves to be full fledged human beings, or being uppity and having opinions.

20 Likes

Of course she will. The entire point of “abortion exceptions” is just to keep doctors safe from prosecution and litigation for letting women die of unnecessary complications in pregnancy.

6 Likes

Which is yet another reason she doesn’t stand a chance. The vast majority of the current GOP voter base wants the worst possible.

7 Likes

Yes, fear that the GOP will take away access to abortion.

Which the GOP is proudly doing.

“I’ve watched electricians put fear in people about sticking your finger in the light socket!”

20 Likes

“I think that I’ve watched Democrats, they have put fear in women. And I’ve watched Republicans use judgment.”

You think that you’ve watched Democrats, Nikki? What does that mean? Have you, or haven’t you?

Or is that odd, nonsensical “I think” at the beginning of the sentence just one of those little ‘tells’ that indicates when someone knows they’re lying?

10 Likes

“There’s no place for fear or judgment when you’re talking about something this personal and this sensitive.”

Says the person who wants to represent the political party that runs on fear, passes judgment on citizens’ private decisions, and loves talking negatively about things this personal and sensitive even though NONE OF THIS IS ANY OF THEIR F’ING BUSINESS.

9 Likes

omg, thank you for highlighting. This one drives me particularly nuts. Late-term abortions are typically done by people who very much wanted to have a baby, but something tragic has happened and the foetus isn’t going to live and the mother’s life is at risk. These abortions are some of the saddest things going - anyone politicizing them deserves to rot forever.

29 Likes