Nikki Haley asserts "I had black friends growing up"

Originally published at: Nikki Haley had black friends growing up - Boing Boing

4 Likes

This person doesn’t get nearly enough credit for this frigid-ass brush-off.

27 Likes

Ah yes, some of my friends are (insert you favorite ethnic group). Code for yep I’m a racist.

9 Likes

“I had black friends growing up” implies she has none at all now.

16 Likes

Similar to how Trump’s rally stage ‘backdrops’ were pocked with paid crowds that were strategically sprinkled with Black people, I now expect some Black person or persons to pop up claiming some former friendship with Haley.

6 Likes

Somewhere in the middle of the bonkers right and the bonkers left; we the voters are kinda losing en masse.

I vote once, I don’t campaign, and I don’t donate either.

Up next: A summer of riots; followed by a fall of discontent. We the voters are in for a messy election cycle to say the least. :confused:

Name one, Nikki.

10 Likes

Bonkers left? Who?

17 Likes

Bonkers left? Me- I am thee king of antifaaaaaa!!!

10 Likes

She’s not even trying the ‘I have black friends’ (i.e. the present tense) excuse.

She might (emphasis on ‘might’) have once had black friends, but they seem to have turned their backs on her - I wonder why?

9 Likes

Except the “bonkers Right” is in charge of the party, driving for autocracy and fascism. The “bonkers Left” is a fringe that no one really pays attention to. Unless you are referring to the “bonkers” ideas of universal healthcare and leaving a world for our grandkids. Exactly what “bonkers left” are you referring to?

18 Likes

“My black friends were all from Canada. You wouldn’t know them.”

15 Likes

It’s truly a classic, but the “funny” part is that it might backfire not because the statement is always code for “I’m a racist,” but because potential supporters will now think she’s not racist enough because she’s claiming she befriended Black people once.

5 Likes

I think I read somewhere that Haley attended a segregated private school…

7 Likes

Apparently true

Nikki Haley went to a “segregation academy” called Orangeburg Preparatory Schools. It was a private school founded to exclude Black people and resist desegregation efforts in the 1960s. “Separation of the races in education is in the best interest of both races and is essential…

Per N. Hannah Jones on Xitter.

9 Likes

Jump, Nikki, jump!

4 Likes

They were just being polite, Nikki.

9 Likes

That and…”I’m not racist but (insert something incredibly racist here).”

4 Likes

Said supporters may go for her anyway, interpreting her comment as the lame bs it very well may be, knowing that the GOP, when in a bind, must play the game to get the votes in November. Then, if elected, it’s all ha, ha, fuck you! and psych!

2 Likes

Nikki Haley’s advisors on hearing the “I had black friends” comment:

will and grace drinking GIF

11 Likes