Nikki Haley asserts "I had black friends growing up"

What is the racial equivalent of a beard?
And why do I suspect one will pop up at a Nimarata rally?

2 Likes

Is it trans people? I’ve seen similar accusations far too often in the last few years from ashamed conservatives self identified “centrists”.

The prey that recognises the dog-whistle gets to live another day.

7 Likes

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Care to define what you think the “bonkers” left is?

You do know that those other things are also part of being in a democracy. It’s not just paying attention when the elections roll around, it’s being an active citizen in whatever way is possible for you. Democracy is rule by the people, so that’s more than just electing someone and then forgetting about it until the next time. If you leave it up to others to take care of things, well… you get what is happening with the far right swooping in and taking charge of one of the parties.

12 Likes

Robert F Kennedy Rfk Jr GIF by GIPHY News

Exhibit A, Left, Bonkers

Given all his courting of the far right, I have trouble considering him left.

ETA: You speak at CPAC, you ain’t left.

15 Likes

… the original claim was

Kennedy has never been elected to anything and he has not made any voters lose

Centrists are doing great unless they think Biden and Harris are “the bonkers left”

7 Likes

Are you saying that other members of the Kennedy family don’t vote?

… not for him

6 Likes

Except, he’s no longer “the left” since he’s very much embraced right wing talking points… He embraced the hardcore anti-vaxx shit pretty recently. Prior to that, he focused on environmental justice issues. If it’s “bonkers” to oppose the continued degradation to our environment, then I’d say you have a pretty have weird definition of bonkers… :woman_shrugging:

So… try again maybe? And @Mr.Mofo to give us a definition of the left that is actually bonkers and on the left?

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure JFK hasn’t voted in several election cycles.

2 Likes

You might be sure about that, but I’m sure there are plenty of JFK Jr. supporters who are doing the research and discovering the signs that suggest otherwise.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think there is such a thing here. I mean, who is the furthest to the left of anyone involved in politics in the US? At least among people who are noteworthy. Bernie? AOC? I’m sure there are some communists around somewhere in the US, but they aren’t having any impact on anything. We do not have a bonkers left.

9 Likes

He’s been an anti-vaxxer for a at least a decade. That alone makes him bonkers. And being pro-environment would put him fairly left of center.

Even if he were on the left (he’s not…he spoke at CPAC just recently…that should end that argument), he has no power. He hasn’t been elected so much as dog catcher anywhere. Contrast that to the extreme right, where fascists have occupied the White House, and currently hold the Speakership of the House.

5 Likes

It’s his whole identity now (the anti-vaxxer stuff) and it’s taken on a far right tone more recently… And as @danimagoo noted, he was speaking at CPAC… if you think anyone who is “left of center” can show up there and not get the shit beaten out of them, you haven’t been paying much attention to what’s happening lately.

This too! But yeah… let’s clutch our fuckin’ pearls over some crunchy leftists who have no real power and aren’t trying to eliminate groups of people from public life… that’s helpful, isn’t it?

8 Likes

Yeah, maybe no longer left, but you have to agree, Bonkers.

Democracy requires more of you. As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

8 Likes

It seems like a heavy burden, knowing the future. Seems to me that there were more riots during the Trump administration. Maybe, in part, because the fascists on the right were emboldened by their hero in the White House, I don’t know. But that’s not the case so much right now. So maybe the sensible thing to do, instead of the absolute minimum and Eeyore impression, is doing a little bit more. Donate. Or canvas. Or volunteer. Talk to people about how important the election is, and how we as a country better not mess it up. If nothing else, you might feel a little better about things.

6 Likes

oh, the nazis were pretty pro-environmental as long as it served their interests; after 1936 of course they didnt gave two fucks about it anymore;

6 Likes

If that’s the case, maybe you should first agree that you were wrong. Since you’re now saying he isn’t, in fact, left of center.

That alone makes him bonkers. And being pro-environment would put him fairly left of center.

5 Likes