Watch Nikki Haley desperately avoid saying the Civil War was about slavery

Originally published at: Watch Nikki Haley desperately avoid saying the Civil War was about slavery - Boing Boing

6 Likes

Nikki doesn’t read history, or Nikki just doesn’t read. :thinking:

ETA: Nikki would have had a difficult time back in Stephens’ day.

28 Likes

Is she suggesting the slave owners were fighting for their “economic freedom”? If she’s sympathetic to insurrection, she really shouldn’t be allowed to be president.

20 Likes

I think she read the New Hampshire motto “Live Free or Die” and decided to pop a lot of Freedom in her responses…

we need to have economic freedom. We need to make sure that we do all things so that individuals have the liberties so that they can have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to do or be anything they want to be without government getting in the way

…unless they’re LGBTQ of course is the quiet part she refrained from next…

12 Likes

I remember studying the Civil War three times growing up.

In Junior High School: It was slavery.

In High School: It’s complicated because there were a lot of other factors at play in addition to slavery.

In College: There were a lot of factors, but almost all of these arose out of slavery and efforts to preserve slavery even as it was becoming less economically viable, so it all still boiled down to slavery.

46 Likes

Southerner is not a pejorative, neither is South Asian. I think the word you are looking for is asshole. There are lots of southerners here, including me, and it gets tiring having to point this out repeatedly. There are assholes, racists and fascists every-fucking-where, the south holds no monopoly on it.

41 Likes

Maybe the campaign is in damage-control mode because slavery was mentioned at all?

14 Likes

“Don’t mention the slavery”, says another American version of Basil Fawlty.

17 Likes
16 Likes

There are ‘analysts’ in the employ of campaign managers (if you’re a sports fan, think of those guys way off in the stadium banging on their computers electronically connected to the coaches). Their main, and perhaps only, source of data are polls. Most of us have (i believe rightfully) concluded that the vast majority of polls (mostly due to cell-phone technology) are bumping towards 100% zero information content as far as reflecting any final vote. So… these unlikely candidates are suffering on the small margins of ‘analysts’ who are suffering almost complete false data. And that’s typically why you get candidates who can’t say the @#$!'n obvious and sensible things. (“look, even a 3% vote shift of the raving lunatics could put you over in Iowa!”) -sigh-

11 Likes

Quite a few of us down here reject the lost cause mythos, and understand history perfectly well, thanks. In fact, quite a few southern historians are the ones that did the kind of historical work that upended the lost cause myth.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Are you seriously trying to suggest that she’s not of South Asian descent? Did her ethnicity magically change because she was born in the US?

The Office Thank You GIF

31 Likes

Here’s the timeline on the flag thing. She finally called for its removal in 2015 after Charlottesville the racist massacre at a black church in Charleston.

14 Likes

I think you mean Republicans.

26 Likes

And or women.

5 Likes

21 Likes

Huh. I heard it was about states’ rights.

Ooooh, wait a minute-- states’ rights to slave ownership.

Got it!

26 Likes

I doubt she is hoping for many votes from Democrats

1 Like

Are you under the impression that the entire south is full of republicans, or that republicans are only found in the south, because you know that’s bullshit, right? Need I remind you of the 2016 maps…

And the 2020 maps:

She’s going after republican voters, of course, which was @KathyPartdeux’s point…

14 Likes

That very official-looking campaign sign. Close to being a homophone for the back in the day racist slur for Black children. Too obvious. Haley and her campaign staff haven’t one good brain between them.

5 Likes

Yep. Drop anyone into upstate NY, and – but for only the accents – they’d think they were amongst “southerners”.

7 Likes