Watch Nikki Haley desperately avoid saying the Civil War was about slavery

how about we stop blaming regions of people, and focus instead of the indviduals who are supporting fascists, who speak with all sorts of accents, live in all sorts of communities, follow all sorts of faiths, etc, etc… This pointing at specific locales, and calling everyone there a bigot, fascist, racist, etc, whatever they actually DO in the world is not helpful. It’s merely perpetuating stereotypes that ignore reality. :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

My aim was to give an example of a (in my own personal experience) very racist area in a seemingly perpetually blue state… but I get your concern and your point. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

14 Likes

That’s clever but misleading. White Southerners didn’t object to federal authority when it served their interests, as with the Fugitive Slave Act.

10 Likes

Do the voters she is courting care?

1 Like

“Of course, the Civil War was about slavery," said Haley at a Thursday town hall in New Hampshire. "We know that. That’s unquestioned. Always the case. We know the Civil War was about slavery.”

But you just know she can’t leave it at that.

"But the lessons of what the bigger issue with the Civil War is that let’s not forget what came out of that, which is government’s role, individual liberties, freedom for every single person, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to do and be anything you want to be without anyone in government getting in our way.”

Reading this, I assume she is now pro-choice and pro-LGBTQ, since that is exactly what those debates are about. But no, of course not. Her face would be eaten right among the first, but she just doesn’t see it.

28 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

9 Likes

Hell yeah! I think I’m north of just about anywhere in CONUS and place is chock full of assholes, racists, and fascists!

15 Likes

10 Likes

The causes of the civil war? That one’s easy.

10 Likes

Huh? Who are you saying is being misleading, me or white slavers?

Seems to me that what you pointed out supports my point that white slavers were selective in their appeals to the notion of states’ rights (and thus in their appeals as well to federal authority).

11 Likes

When the Confederate States seceded, most of them composed a “Statement of Reasons”, most of which plagiarized the format of Declaration of Independence, being a pre-eminent list of grievances. However, in most of them, the abolition of slavery is mentioned in the very first paragraph. Georgia claimed that White people couldn’t stand the heat well enough to work in their climate and thus was vital to all civilizations and economies. Texas went so far as to say that God had ordained “the servitude of the African to the white race”. ALL of them declared the abolition of slavery to be a principal issue causing their actions.

22 Likes

Well, Stephens did have more days (this also from the wiki):

“After the Confederacy’s defeat at the hands of the U.S. in the Civil War and the abolition of slavery, Stephens attempted to retroactively deny and retract the opinions he had stated in the speech. Denying his earlier statements that slavery was the Confederacy’s cause for leaving the Union, he contended to the contrary that he thought that the war was rooted in constitutional differences”

14 Likes

Hence the whole reboot as “Lost Cause” of Southern Independence from the evil government dictatorship. Which has just evolved into MAGA.

20 Likes

24 Likes

ah yes. grandfather clauses, lynchings, labor camps, the kkk, jim crow, segregation… :angry:

wouldn’t want the government getting in the way of that. unless it’s helping to support all that of course

21 Likes

proof that just about everything can be seen as a Simpson’s reference!

Great share - thank you!

… and Thank You to the Simpson’s writers.

10 Likes

That’s not fair. …they also don’t want women to have freedom over their bodies…

7 Likes

This is a great “many a truth is said in jest” moment. It’s a funny joke, but the naturalized immigrants conservatives love to hate often know more about US civics and history than native born USians.

16 Likes

Whenever I run into someone who wants to make some issue about my naturalized status I tell them I’m American by choice, unlike them

22 Likes

Then why didn’t you say that yesterday? Also, it most definitely is not “unquestioned” and she knows that, too. She’s trying to have her cake and eat it, too, here.

22 Likes