Watch Nikki Haley desperately avoid saying the Civil War was about slavery

Ursula GIF

12 Likes

And now…

A plant? For a question you absolutely should have been prepared for?!

23 Likes

You don’t even need to be prepared for that question. It’s a hanging curve right over the middle of the plate.

18 Likes

Strange how someone of the Party of Lincoln wasn’t prepared. :thinking: /s

23 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

“It was definitely a Democrat plant,” said Haley. “That’s why I said, what does it mean to you? And if you notice, he didn’t answer anything. The same reason he didn’t tell the reporters what his name was.”

Nikki, he isn’t the person running for the office of the US President. :roll_eyes:

19 Likes

He should have replied, “I’m not here to debate you. I’m here to decide if I want to vote for you, and I need an answer to that question to help me decide.”

ETA: Also, usually everyone in these town halls are plants. Typically, they stack the crowd with the candidate’s supporters.

24 Likes

Absolutely true for any reasonable and honest person. But given what Haley is doing, reasonable and honest are a bit much. Especially given what she has said on the topic in the past!
The answer can, infuriatingly, be a sensitive topic for certain segments of the base she hopes to cultivate. She handled this very badly from start to finish. What could have been a glib glossy answer mentioning slavery but centering a few lost cause talking points, and thus hardly even reported on, has turned into a several hour if not several days news cycle.

20 Likes

Like many people who have to “test in” to something, vs were part of it their whole lives, you probably know a lot more about America than the average American.

I know a lot more about Catholicism than the average Catholic, I can tell you that…

8 Likes

It’s a ball sitting on the t-ball tee. A three-year-old could have knocked that one out of the park.

He even said as much to her. What a sad sack. If she can’t handle a softball question like that, how can she handle the job of president?

18 Likes

[Citation needed]

Welcome to BoingBoing!

7 Likes

Is there an Echo in here?

6 Likes

Confederate leaders said that it was about slavery.

14 Likes

You know, the British Empire had abolished slavery decades earlier, right?

11 Likes

That said the traitor state would have most likely been able to count on the support of Britain had it continued too much longer. Britain had a lot of capital tied up in US slavery, the slave states were dependent on European capital still. The English line on this was the Classical Liberal one: slavery was of course an abomination but property was property and the state couldn’t “take this away” from rightful owners. Quotation marks because the state cannot “take away” that which was never legitimate in the first place.

Instead of using their advantage of territory and position when the US invaded to drag it out and forcing a settlement they, due to arrogance and racism, invaded and got their arses handed to them as tartare.

12 Likes

My understanding was that the Confederacy probably could have received support from Britain had they not royally fucked up the diplomacy. One of their first acts was banning the export of cotton in a heavyhanded attempt to force Britain into the war if they wanted to keep getting sweet, sweet cotton for their textile industry.

Meanwhile, the British were just discovering that they could grow cotton in India, so the south was left with a ton of cotton rotting in warehouses, and later diplomatic overtures went nowhere.

18 Likes

Are you perhaps referring to Lincoln stating that if he could save the Union without abolishing slavery, he would?

Because afaik, Lincoln joined the Republican Party — a party formed in opposition to slavery if not an outright abolitionist party — after the passage of the Kansas - Nebraska Act, which expanded slavery into new territories.

10 Likes
15 Likes

Is that those laws stating that forever more hereafter, no man, woman nor child in this country shall go hungry if they get too thin? :thinking:

14 Likes

Clearly we’re not following that proclamation

14 Likes

Frederick Douglass Project Writings: Oration in Memory of Abraham Lincoln

https://rbscp.lib.rochester.edu/4402

6 Likes