Nikki Haley finally understands MAGA — and she's dropping out of the race

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/06/nikki-haley-finally-understands-maga-and-shes-dropping-out-of-the-race.html

10 Likes

Somehow she managed to come off as another GOP coward despite the fact she didn’t endorse Il Douche.

32 Likes

Yes, the GOP is Tromp’s party. What’s more important though is that not only is it his party-- he’s also more popular than ever. And Biden less than ever.

Shit’s getting real, folks.

20 Likes

I’m not convinced of that. I think that there are plenty of people unhappy with Biden and with good reason (but i think that’s always been part of the coalition, that some voted for him, because the alternative was much worse). But given the numbers coming out of the primaries for Trump, I don’t think that Trump is as popular as ever, despite what the media is telling us.

That, whatever his actual popularity, is spot on.

34 Likes

My Republican Parents and most of the folks in their “conservative” circles who previously voted for trump are completely disgusted with him now and will refuse to vote for him again. I’m guessing that means that they stay home on Nov 4 but who knows really? Hopefully this is a real trend across the country.

Indeed but you wouldn’t know it from the NPR party.

20 Likes

I wish Haley would stay on as a third-party spoiler candidate at least, peeling off even a slight sliver of Trump voters seems like it could be helpful

yeah approval ratings are scary, Biden has dropped below where Trump was during the equivalent time in his presidency which I can’t even fathom

(Biden in green here, from How Popular Is Joe Biden? | FiveThirtyEight)

11 Likes

amazon original ok GIF by Hand of God

And yet, the corporate media NOT telling us about the ways Biden’s policies are helping ordinary people, while downplaying Tromp’s crimes and fascist desires and policies, does make Tromp more popular and Biden less popular.

If Tromp isn’t more popular than ever, then he may well be more popular than Biden. I’m willing to turn the alarm bells down a notch that way, but a four-alarm fire should be just as alarming as a five-alarm one.

Honest reporting isn’t going to save the day, nor will the judicial system. Looks like we’re back to Square One – Get out the fucking vote!

(And I don’t mean to say that I think any of that counters what you said or apparently think.)

17 Likes

The press is flogging Biden’s age and ‘lack of support among leftists’, as if those folk are going to vote for trump?

Meanwhile haley was pulling in 20-30% of the primarty voters, who should be all in on fascist Trump, and the press acted like that was meaningless. Trump truly owns the nazi party these days, and the fact that up to 1/3 of his acolytes won’t vote for him in the primary seems pretty important.

15 Likes

There are billboards in Maryland listing all the things that the gQp has done for America. All lies of course but there it is plain as day by the side of the road. Highway Gospel.

There really needs to be concerted Biden communication blitz soon. As in in effing yesterday.

10 Likes

Polling also seems to indicate a huge portion of the country has been gaslit into remembering 2017-2020 as a period of unprecedented peace and prosperity, definitely not a period marked by endless scandals and ineptitude culminating in a badly mismanaged response to a plague that killed more Americans than World War II.

26 Likes

Indeed! But if corporate media emphasize truths like that, how they gonna keep viewers on the edge of their seat by making it seem like a neck and neck horse race?

Horse Racing Vintage GIF by US National Archives

12 Likes

I think the perception of cowardice will increase when she does bend the knee. I’m not buying this, “I don’t feel bound to endorse winner” game. I give it a week before she falls back in line with the rest of the Grand Orange Party.

8 Likes

The “conflicted” conservatives that I know voted for trump in 2016 and 2020. Party before country for most GOPOS.

10 Likes

There’s still at least one horse in it. :smiley:

trump-face

Yeah, the media are looking for an angle on every story and unfortunately tend to pick the stupidest way to frame it. I think the polls will look different closer to the actual presidential election and I just hope most voters are a little smarter than that. 0_o

7 Likes

I found this rather heartening.

14 Likes

Beau is very good for level-headed realism. His analysis is more on the nail than just about any of the talking heads out there.

12 Likes

So the leopards took a taste of her face.

Don’t worry, Nikki. If Il Douche is re-elected the leopards will be more than happy to eat the whole thing.

8 Likes

They don’t need to vote for Trump for him to win. All they need to do is not vote at all. Leftists, at least some of the more inexperienced ones, seem quite good at twisting their logic into pretzels to justify self-righteous inaction, not seeming to realize that, far from sending a message to those in power to be more progressive, all they’ll be doing is making themselves and their voices irrelevant and ushering in fascism. Meanwhile, those Republicans who wouldn’t vote for Trump in the primary? It’s not as though they’re going to vote for Biden any more than the leftists will vote for Trump, but they won’t be sitting the election out. They’ll fall in line and vote for Trump in the end, because they’re driven by fear and hate rather than idealism.

14 Likes

There is. But they can’t make the media cover it. GMA this morning spent 5-10 minutes analyzing what Biden’s getting only 70% in Minnesota, 80% in Colorado, and losing American Samoa means for his reelection chances. They spent maybe a minute talking about Biden capping credit card late fees at $8, which should be a huge story.

18 Likes

To the rich credit card late fees either aren’t a thing, or so small as to be beneath notice. I mean, what can you do with $8? Buy one banana?

14 Likes