NSA spying means Brazil's $4.5B fighter jets won't be built by Boeing

[Permalink]

Headline could use a B.

ETA: NM. You’re on it.

1 Like

Maybe NOW they will do something that is costing the US real money. What will they do instead? Sabotage the deal with Saab so they go back to Boeing. Wait for it.

6 Likes

And there’s accidentally an ‘e’ in Boing?

6 Likes

A small price for one company to pay for eternal vigilance against Amerca’s enemies!

4 Likes

Twelve years to negotiate the contract?!

1 Like

Brazil’s buying $4.5B worth of fighter jets. And rather than buy them from American military-industrial complex go-to Boeing, they’re buying them from Sweden’s Saab. Why? A contract with Boeing is synonymous with NSA surveillance. Multiply this by every country in the world and you start to get a sense of the cost of letting the NSA run around without any adult supervision.

So it would be better if NSA’s surveillance wasn’t so overreaching because then the U.S. military-industrial complex could be further fortified by billion dollar fighter jet orders from Brazil?

Having a hard time wrapping my head around that one.

Also, that’s not even the weirdest thing about the Brazil deal…the weirdest thing is that since it will take awhile for the fighters to be produced, in the interim Brazil is LEASING 10 fighter jets from Saab.

Who knew you could lease weapons of war? I mean, it’s like there’s some sort of international Rent-A-Center out there which, for the low-low price of a couple hundred million per week, will let you assemble your own modern military with nothing down.

Who does Saab call if Brazil defaults on its payments and they need to repossess them? Does Dog the Bounty Hunter do those kinds of jobs?

What kind of freaking crazy world do we live in?

2 Likes

I owned a pre-GM Saab 9s and that shit was in the shop far more than it was on the highway. Jus sayin. My advice, Brazil: spend a bit for the technical manual and invest in really good Swedish mechanics (shout out to Robby at Saab Replay in Berkeley).

4 Likes

Fun fact: Boeing Boeing is a 1965 movie with Jerry Lewis and Tony Curtis.

4 Likes

Why does Brazil need $4.5B of fighter jets anyway? They’re not going to get into a war with the Chinese or invade Uruguay or Argentina. I assume it’s just to keep their military happy so they don’t overthrow the government?

The Grippen is a different airplane philosophy than the big long range expeditionary warfare inspired American or Russian fighters available today. It is small muti-mission attack plane like an A-4 Skyhawk but with mach-2 category speed and radar of a fighter. It can be maintained by a small crew of draftees and is designed around using short bits of road when airfields have all been bombed to hell. The Draken is consistent with the Swiss and Swedish model of neutrality in strength, it by design remains a threat even when the supply train is interrupted by something crazy like invasion by a world power. American cutting edge aircraft cease to be useful months to years after the US decides it is time to list you an the axis of evil.

5 Likes

They have lots of things they need to protect. Like their oil fields. Or their airspace against drug runners. A few years ago they had a big operation bombing illegal airfields.

1 Like

Damn straight. The only things good about SAABs were: for a 2wd car, they handled snow great. And they were among the few cars with heated seats back in the day. Otherwise? Errh, they had nice airplane-style dashes and seats and stuff. But crap crap crap reliability. They were not reliable cars.

8 Likes

Well done everybody. A reference to a 1960 French farce in the correct context.

2 Likes

“Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:21pm EST” – A bit late?

What else I’ve learned: If you want to be a whistle blower, go underwater. Boeing’s jet, which likely had mechanical/technical/wiring problems, can’t communicate from within the Indian Ocean.

Don’t worry USA. Australia’s still buying your expensive planes. $12billion of them apparently; announced by a conservative government that’s spent the short time its been in office telling us the previous mob screwed our economy so bad that we’re all going to have to feel some financial pain for a few years while they “fix” things.

1 Like

So how did the first draft read? razil’s ? $4.5 fighter jets? built by oeing ?

NSA spying means Brazil’s $4.5 fighter jets won’t be built by Boeing