NYPD officers who wikiwashed police brutality pages will get wrist-slaps

It’s usually not that bad in the fields of metals and chemicals and most of electronics. Much lower amount of ideology out there.

1 Like

Well, they also should have done it from their home computers and avoided this mess. (They also shouldn’t have done it, but clearly that’s beside the point for these purposes)

Sometimes I hate big data and lack of anonymity and then I remember big brother tracks government and authority figures too. Transparency is a b!t¢#. It would have been something else if they had added added a section to the entries as “Officers’ Account of the Incident” and then they could use what ever carefully crafted verbiage they want. And of course they consider it as “personal use” during on-duty time. This sounds like something Nixon used as an excuse in the 70’s. Maybe Now police officers will make their job related Wiki edits at home where its harder to PROVE it was a Police officer.

Some of this was just pop culture stuff! I started noting some pop culture references to single malt whisky on a few whisky pages, other folks joined in the fun until someone came along and wiped that stuff out every single page. And wouldn’t budge. He was the North Going Zax on this stuff.

Seems to me that, absent something being completely wrong or insane, the rules for comedy improv ought to govern: one builds on, one does not fight, the narrative.

1 Like

Yup. I got the “blast leveling everything very effectively” removed from the BLEVE page despite it being a widely quoted (and pretty useful to know) alternative to the official name. Got list of Chernobyl-involved people pruned to only the casualties as the rest was “not notable enough”, despite highly useful for web searches (hint: names and other important keywords should be listed in the original alphabet too; when cyrillics or other “spilled tea” alphabets are involved, together with automatic translation it helps finding more details that often aren’t available in English). Got somebody who had a problem with mercury rectifier explosions, despite sources from NASA. And somebody badly mangled a page about failure modes in electronics, but not after somebody else lifted most of the text verbatim and published it as a part of a book (“Frances Metzger - Failure Modes of Electronics (2011, 9789381157190)”), which I consider flattering. (Todo: write something from the book back to the wiki, cite the book as a source.)

And so on. Such skirmishes would take a lot of time if I’d bother. Better spend it reading. (Todo: recruit somebody younger, less qualified about writing and more bulldog-like about arguing, and outsource the fights.)

But what are the fights good for. The text I wrote is in the edit list, for my reference at a later time, so the whole thing still serves well as my notepad.

1 Like

[quote=“kupfernigk, post:19, topic:53812”]Unless you are one yourself, I suspect you will hold your views right up to the point of having a run in with the police and finding them reading out false statements of what you were alleged to have said in court.[/quote]Which views are those, exactly? That the police departments are running rampant with classism/racism, illegal coverups, murders, extortion, and general thuggery? Or that a few unofficial Wikipedia edits are minor problems not worth this big of an uproar (barring systematic recurrence)? These viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.

Just because I don’t think someone should be fired for something as minor as editing Wikipedia doesn’t mean I approve of it. Just because I note that police can and do use lying/misleading as a valid investigative technique does not mean I approve of lying in official statements. And trying to put words into my mouth that I approve of such illegal activities just makes you an asshole.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.