Officials consider criminal charges for stupid assholes who destroyed 170-million-yo rock formation

Are they Boy Scouts of America leaders? Because there’s no comment on their website so far. http://www.scouting.org/Media/PressReleases/2013.aspx
(I always wondered why they differentiated themselves from the rest of the International Scout movement.)

3 Likes

Shsssh, don’t mess with someone’s outrage buzz.

The Grand Canyon is 20 million years old (myo), Everest is 50 myo, the Atlantic Ocean is 200 myo.

It would be pretty silly to assume the pile of crumbly sandstone is one of the oldest features on earth.

3 Likes

It’s probably a bit harsh to send Mr Toppler to jail just for getting his rock off in the valley with his boy scout leader friends, but fraud against an insurance company or a specious personal injury claim? intake of breath! sounds like he’s going away for a long stretch.

6 Likes

So it was self defense.

1 Like

They pushed over a rock? Hanging’s too good for 'em. They should be burned at the stake!

5 Likes

Yes i am sure that all people know the don’t push that rock law !?!

1 Like

No, they were stealing a beryllium sphere.

6 Likes

Hey, I resemble that remark…

3 Likes

Lets fill in the Grand Canyon,someone could fallin. We could fill it in with people who think its ok totopple rocks over innationalparks!

10 Likes

Per HuffPo, BSA did state:

We are shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behavior. For more than a century, the Boy Scouts of America has been a leader in conservation—from stewardship to sustainability. We teach our 2.6 million youth members and 1.1 million adult members, who collectively spend more than 5.5 million nights outdoors, the principles of “Leave No Trace.”

These principles stress a commitment to maintaining the integrity and character of the outdoors and all living things. The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach. We are reviewing this matter and will take appropriate action.

3 Likes

Yeah, this whole thing is way overblown. These guys shouldn’t be doing jail time or even get fines. It would be best for everyone though if they were sterilized.

4 Likes

Naw…

8 Likes

Probably not going to be popular because anybody who watched the way these boorish tools were behaving in the video isn’t going to believe such a line of silly b.s. If you as an adult can’t keep boy scouts from wildin’ out and fucking with and ruining treasures within a park then you probably shouldn’t take them there. Of course it’s obvious that these adult-toddlers just thought it would be cool to tip over an ancient rock. Maybe I ask too much? You see as a young scout and even before as a young child I knew better…

10 Likes

Wouldn’t that become the ugliest/weirdest rich person sport ever.

“I’ve fucked national parks on all the corners of the globe!”

2 Likes

Pedantic a-holery aside, it’s obvious to anybody that the idea is that it took that long for the formation to reach that state, not that it has existed in such a way for that long. You both knew that though. Just as these kindred wastes of space knew they weren’t child proofing a National Park. Try to have some shame, or some kind of self respect.

9 Likes

If it was 5-10 years there would be no formations there at all Einstein.

Not self-defense. He was holding his ground!

2 Likes

The headline should read “Engaging in Entropy and Erosion: Pinheads Pilloried for Pushing Pillar”.

10 Likes

I have a fossil on my desk that took 50 million years to get there.

So the number of years it takes for a rock to reach a state of dangerous instability in a publicly accessible area of a park is supposed to have any bearing on anything? Seriously, that rock’s substrate had eroded to the point that it was about to fall sometime very soon. (immediately, in geological terms.)

Frankly, if they’d pointed it out to a park ranger, it would almost certainly have been pushed over. Their only other responsible option would be to cordon it off, and that would have spoiled the view. Parks, like it or not, exist because of the people who go there, and park managers know it.

I get that you don’t like these guys. Maybe if they’d worn black armbands or wept or something…