Opinel No. 8 "picnic" knife, my favorite pocket knife

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool. It comes in useful, but no one tool is in frequent use. I also carry a pocket survival kit pretty much everywhere and haven’t used it in anger yet. But not having used it isn’t going to stop me carrying it …

That IS a good price for a well-made piece of steel like an Opinel. Granted, I have one penknife in my pocket at a time - though I’ve got a drawer with plenty of the damn things. My current toad-stabber is a Whitby, made with proper Sheffield steel); but I learned as a kid not to buy a shit one. If you know how to put an edge on something, you can shave with a carbon steel Opinel. And a pocket knife is one of the accoutrements of a Gentleman, Sir. Same like any tool. Buy well, don’t buy cheap, don’t spend like an idiot. There’s a reason they’ve never changed the things in forever.

I’ve got a shitty Rolson copy of that thing lives in my bag with the bike spanner and so forth. Fuck, is it ever useful. I love it. Yay pointy things!

Great, now I have seen that they have an ebony version. Perhaps it is for the best that it is a bit pricey.

/No. 8, walnut

I’m really curious. What do you cut with it?

Admittedly I use a knife to open packages. But you know what, I have my packages delivered to home, where I have, you know, knives. I rarely seem encounter things that need cutting when I’m out and about.

The blade on the Skeletool sees the least use, but in contrast to you I have my packages delivered to work and it comes in useful for opening them. We have scissors in our office but no box cutters. The pliers and drivers have been more useful. I had a dial fall off a piece of life-support equipment at a critical moment and was able to maintain control by using the grippers instead. They paid for themselves multiple times over on that day. And who doesn’t need a bottle opener on occasion?

If you carry a tool, whether it’s just a blade or a multitool, it will come in useful. You just need to find the sweet spot where it’s not too large and gets in the way but not too small to be useful. That will differ from person to person. The Leatherman Skeletool hits the spot for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.