Project Farm tests a bunch of pocket knives

Originally published at: Project Farm tests a bunch of pocket knives | Boing Boing

1 Like

But how do you sharpen it?

13 Likes

I just started watching, but an Opinel is the second knife mentioned (1:16). I’m not sure if it’s a #8, but the results should be the same.

2 Likes

They didn’t mention it in their list and I missed it skipping back and forth already off to write the post. I updated the sentence. Thanks.

3 Likes

I have the no 10 with the corkscrew.

Be prepared!

5 Likes

Properly. The correct equipment and a bit of practice is all you need. And preferably an Opinel with a carbon steel blade - it takes a better edge than stainless, but it will stain, and rust if you’re not careful.

Berwhale__pocket knife__FGD135__515x400

4 Likes

04ce486348cfb8cae5e56733f399da08

9 Likes

giphy

7 Likes

2 Likes

Since I got a pocket knife with a clip on it - CRKT M-16 Tanto - I haven’t ever lost it and it works well for me.

In hindsight, a traditional spear point would be easier to sharpen.

4 Likes

Is there even a difference? I recently bought two – luckily lockable, of the non-French market – in #11 (Yeah, bigger hands, felt best) - and as fast as I can tell you only get to options, apart from the various sizes: stainless steel and carbon steel, which can rust.

Not my favourite knife, though. That would be the discontinued Boeker Titan-2, slimmest one I ever found and this I keep buying the few ones that resurface once in a while. Though I guess that at 2 in reserve and only some 35 years to go, I could probably give it a rest.

Also, lots of Cranes lying around, with a #10 surgical blade.

There are different blades: stainless and something else iirc.

1 Like

Yes, stainless steel and carbon steel. The later can rust, but can hold a sharper edge. Tool the latter one, I find it no bother to clean my knives after use and keep them dry.

Have you tried making your own knife? Mancrate has a folding knife, really sharp, already cut myself while putting it together, but I learned how folding knifes work. Folding Knife Making Kit | Man Crates

1 Like

Agree 100%. For most normal human use cases, the Opinel carbon #6 or #8 is the move. It’s a cheap, light, thin, easily sharpened blade - essentially the a folding version of an asian paring knife.

Perfect for opening packages, slicing cheese/sausage, cutting rope or fabric. The sorts of things one DOES with a knife that is close at hand. It’s NOTdesigned to lash to a limb to make a spear for killing wild boar, dealing out Darryl Dixon backhanded zombie brain stabs, punching holes in car doors, or whatever the hell it is people do with their super heavy, chisel bladed lockbacks).

They also have a full line of kitchen knives

stainless and high carbon. stainless steel can and DOES rust. it’s also doesn’t sharpen quickly or easily, but holds an edge better. cheap stainless is trash, the opinel the high carbon is absolutely the one you want.

They do have quite a few specialty blade shapes, generally agricultural/food based - oyster, garlic, mushroom, sheepsfoot, filet, corkscrew

Yes, I have the ‘carbone’ marked blades and have seasoned them in lemon before multiple years of use and have never had a problem with rust, or keeping the blades sharp.

1 Like

If I lose my pocket knife, or get a new one, i am going to look for a carbon blade. I have noticed my stainless pocket knife is never super sharp, but I can get my k-bar, which is carbon steel, though most of the blade is coated with a protective finish) pretty sharp with out even trying too hard.

1 Like

The lemon creates a protective finish. I remember once sitting around a campfire with a friend who had a giant Bowie-style knife with him and I had my Opinel. We discussed how I use mine mostly to carve apples and infrequently to never in defending against a raging animal I might hope to fight off with a blade. I am not sure he has ever had an opportunity to “use” his knife as intended.

6 Likes