Pies Are Round: why a big pizza is a better deal

Two words for you: parchment paper.

Or wax paper, if that’s what you have. Voila, stackable pizza slices!

1 Like

So what I’m getting from this is that spherical pizzas would be an even better deal.

3 Likes

No, in many places electricity is more expensive per unit the more one buys.

Maybe they should be described by area instead of diameter on the menu?

There’s a Chris Christie joke in here somewhere… something about lowering the budget yet gaining more girth.

i don’t have time for wax paper.
i have to slide my pie straight into the fridge.

FYI: I used to work at pizza hut, and for each additional topping you order, you get less of each. Count your number of pepperoni, when you order just pepperoni, vs a supreme - it can be half as much! Kinda BS if you ask me, considering toppings are $2 each.

2 Likes

It’s amazing how many places have picked up this story but completely missed the fact that there’s more to a pizza cost than just the base ingredients. The amount of ingredients required scales relatively linearly with the overall area of the pizza, but many other factors do not. Labor doesn’t scale linearly with the area of the pizza - it still is one phone call, one transaction, and even making the pizza itself doesn’t take twice as long for a pizza that is twice as large. Plus there are capital costs that need to be distributed among the pizzas - a medium oven in an oven is usually one less spot for a large pizza.

1 Like

I suppose common usage of ‘javel water’ is a Canadianism. It would be especially prevalent in Quebec, which has evolved a panoply of Quebec-only English. Dep(anneur), anyone?

Bleach, to me, usually means some photo lab chemicals. So I used javel water to be clearer. Or so I thought.

As far as it not being ‘official English’: “Really, says who? L’Académie Anglaise?” ;-p

/I used to be a Quebecker, now I’m back to being a full-time Acadian. Now locally, there’s all sorts of interesting language, both very old and very mixed.

See, I get the joke, and I concede that on a certain level it’s a bit absurd for English to lack of unifying central authority, but then when you stop and think about it the actual Académie Française is equally absurd from a different point of view.

It all depends on whether you believe language should evolve organically, or whether it should be consciously structured. (Or perhaps some combination of the two?)

But since you did ask, as for it not being ‘official English’, by that I merely meant I could not find it referenced in any dictionaries or other materials available to me except with the distinct indication that it was either a fully foreign term, or at best a loanword borrowed wholesale. :wink:

Also, there’s the strange matter of the distinct English word of the same spelling I’ve found indications of. All my sources list it as an obsolete or archaic term, but I’m having trouble finding actual usages to cite.

The only clue is that my sources invariably mention “Spenser” at the end, and this quite unhelpfully without further explanation or context. I can only assume they are referring to Edmund Spenser, famous English Elizabethan poet, and indeed upon cross referencing I can fine a few sources at least referencing his usage of the word - perhaps he coined or popularized it?

most pizzas are not evenly distributed. as far as i can tell, the costs are just tossed without discretion on to the pizza making the flavor uneven. it is much better to order without toppings then add additional costs into it later. there is more control that way and less waste.

residents of colorado and washington…
yes, you in kush country.
not only do you now have the inside track on bigger pizzas equalling
better deals, but
just think of how much better pizza will now taste, but not only that,
soon you will also get a new cache of toppings, some for maybe even $50 extra per pie.
i envy you brave american ex-pats who live in kush country, where the grass is always greener, or so i dream it to be.

On dit de “bleach” pour eau de Javel en anglais. I think Javel might be used as a brand name for a type of bleach, though.

i think this study is bullocks!
i am an ergonmicist, and ergonomically speaking you want a pie that is at most 14" in diameter, 12" at most; any more and it requires extra wrist work to fold the pizza slab and hold it so that the chizzle does not roll down the wrist. for every 1000 pizza slabs, there has been 1 hot chizzle wrist injury. most injuries are due to improper pizza design as the fewer the obstacles on top (and i am pointing a finger at the chains: the dominoes, the papa johns, the pizza huts), the more likely the hot chizzle damage.

bleach on pizza is not good.

Just use a knife and fork like a civilized person.

Pizza is simply a dead pig delivery system. The more dead pig, the better.

no! no! no!
cheese on pizza is my only vice.
as far as a dead pig delivery system is concerned, yes
bleach is an appropriate topping.
the more bleach, the better the pizza.

Actually, before I typed in ‘javel water’, the first time around, I did a Google search (I wasn’t sure if it was ‘javel’ or ‘javelle’; I had seen both used). Besides, I was quite sure it was English.

So, I got hits. From English on-line dictionaries.

Yes, as you found, ‘javel’ is “Jav"el, n. A vagabond. [Obs.] --Spenser.”

‘Javel water’ on the other hand does get you a bunch of hits, all of them referring to a solution of sodium hypochlorite. From Collins Dictionary (a British-English dictionary): noun - an aqueous solution containing sodium hypochlorite and some sodium chloride, used as a bleach and disinfectant; Also called: eau de Javelle. a similar solution made from potassium carbonate and chlorine.

It’s a good thing we weren’t talking about funnels, eh?

–What funnel? asked Stephen.

–The funnel through which you pour the oil into your lamp.

–That? said Stephen. Is that called a funnel? Is it not a tundish?

–What is a tundish?

–That. The… funnel.

–Is that called a tundish in Ireland? asked the dean. I never heard the word in my life.

–It is called a tundish in Lower Drumcondra, said Stephen, laughing, where they speak the best English.

–A tundish, said the dean reflectively. That is a most interesting word. I must look that word up. Upon my word I must.

How very odd. I haven’t read Joyce, so at first I thought you were quoting one of the Aubrey-Maturin books I’ve yet to read. (I’m on The Hundred Days at the moment.)

The similarities, specifically an Irishman named Stephen given cause to discuss the indiosyncracies of language and the noteable differences therein, all described by the author in a somewhat dated vernacular, was superbly striking.

As you’ve likely figured out, it’s from Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. There’s a superb film version of it. Don’t pass up an opportunity to see it.