Behold! The Pizza cake!

[Permalink]

1 Like

Best heart attack I ever had.

2 Likes

This reminds me of Jason Molina. Now I’m sad.

"Recording Josephine" - Magnolia Electric Company at Electrical Audio from Ben Schreiner on Vimeo.

A neat idea but… I’m not sure I’d care to eat it. I’m happy enough just folding my slice of pizza in half.

1 Like

Looks cool as long as you make your own crust and filling instead of using Pillsbury, that way you don’t get half a day’s sodium in each serving. (Also, I wonder how hard it is to get the middle to cook without burning the exterior?)

I was wondering the same thing. Canned pizza dough is absolutely disgusting raw.

I’m dubious about this recipe. It calls for baking the pie at 400 for 20-25 minutes, but there is just no way that pie is going to cook all the way through with that. At the very least, I would go very very thin with the sauce on the inner layers to avoid adding any more moisture than is absolutely necessary.

Ah, so the cake vs. pie debate enters yet another realm…

7 Likes

NPR Sandwich Monday takes on the Pizza Cake

Sadly, this is probably closer to reality.

I’d rather eat a Lou Malnatis Pizza. (Which always seemed like a mad gab for Illuminati Pizza)

1 Like
  1. If Pillsbury didn’t pay for this, I’ll eat my hat.
  2. The fact that nobody is questioning the provenance of this “article,” both here and via NPR, concerns me.
  3. If I’m wrong (I’m not) but IF I am, I would rather eat my hat than eat this ridiculous thing.
1 Like

The recipe is hosted on pillsbury.com, so take from that what you will.

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that the picture in the article used a different technique. I suspect they baked each middle layer individually before stacking them into the pie and then only baked the outer layer for the 20 minutes at 400. This avoids the problem where the middle layers are too heavy to rise and you get the flat mess that NPR got.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen this linked from 2 or 3 places over the last couple days and thought at first-glance that this article linked to Buzzfeed; the Buzzfeed article is heavily branded but doesn’t actually call itself sponsored content anywhere.

That’s why it says to prebake the inner layers of dough (for 8 minutes according to the directions).

1 Like

You know you could do something similar with flatbread or pita. If you were really going heart attack mode why not make each layer different…chicken bacon ranch, pepperoni and cheese, just meats, anything with alfredo. For the finishing touch it should have been battered and deep fried. Literally this thing is fair food.

1 Like

I have no horse in this race, but just to play devil’s advocate, so what if Pillsbury paid for it?
I haven’t seen the buzzfeed, NPR, etc stories so maybe I missed the part where an unbiased account of its creation would make a difference.

Hmmm. I happen to like my crust a little crispy, and not completely soggy. This requires air for the moisture to cook off. The crust in the middle would be completely soggy. Thanks, but I think I’ll pass.

Ah, the turducken of the pizza world.

4 Likes

Or the pizza pie Cherpumple

Sponsored content should be marked as sponsored content for the same reason that ads should be marked as ads. The importance of the reporting doesn’t matter - if buzzfeed is a journalistic outfit (and they claim they are) then knowing placement was paid for is important information for the readership.

2 Likes

The best pizza I ever had was in the Italian district in Providence. It didn’t have thick crust like “deep dish”, but did have an inch thick top layer of sauce, cheese, and toppings. I’ve never seen anything like it since.

1 Like

Looking at the Buzzfeed article, I think it’s more likely that the Buzzfeed author just republished the Pillsbury link (which they did, indeed, link to) as a Buzzfeed article. It wouldn’t be the first time that a Buzzfeed author just flat out took the content of another page and posted it on Buzzfeed. And does Buzzfeed actually claim to be a journalistic outfit? I’m not sure “Here’s What You Should Eat For Dinner” (a random headline pulled from the front page) qualifies as journalism.

But yeah, all the inner layers appear to be pre-cooked, so no “raw inner dough” issues to worry about.

1 Like