Place a rock on top of another rock, go to jail: Boulder cops

well, it wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the article, and he didn’t appear in any photos on his page that i saw. it just seemed like a rather big assumption.

This is the one on his web site’s “about” page.

4 Likes

got it. thanks.

Well, they are the Boulder Police.

3 Likes

Then they just get you for littering.

2 Likes

Rock stacking is kind of annoying. If you’re an artist well go do it in your studio or on your own property. It is annoying to see this in state/national parks.

He’s an alien…no human would stack rocks like that.

3 Likes

The only way that photo could be more Boulder is if his Subaru was parked in the background with his Boulder-assigned dog sleeping next to it.

Also, his picobrewed craft beer seems to be missing…

6 Likes

Why do you find it annoying? I’m genuinely curious. I always find rock sculptures like this completely fascinating. It’s something I always wanted to learn how to do.

1 Like

I though the alien was the weird hamburger/saturn thing floating in midair.

You mean no one here engaged in the time-honored tradition of building tiny dams across streams when you were a sprat? Srsly, the main thing that wouldn’t get my knickers in a twist is that the sculptures are ephemeral, more like a mobile than a building; one good nudge and they return to a scatter of rocks. As long as the artist didn’t try to keep them intact, and didn’t remove or destroy anything else to create them (ripping apart an archaeological site or destroying a nest is bad juju), I find them a lot less disturbing than the cairns tourists like to pile up.

2 Likes

Best place I’ve seen a rock pile: On the very lip of this waterfall:

I might have pictures of the lip with the cairns in place.

1 Like

I’d like to see a professional psychological profile of the stupid cop who started this. It’s truly hard to imagine how this kind of cretin functions in a world where there are so few things he can control. what an amazing waste of dna

3 Likes

But nobody owns the rocks, man. All rocks belong to the Earth, man.

He’s been down there south of “Yellow Falls” (which is really just a ripple) for many years. People have mostly made a point of not discussing him because he might end like John The Savage in “Brave New World,” literally hounded to death by tourists.

I’m not sure how he rationalizes the frequent destruction of his work by the river. You can stroll on a grassy island and find a flathead V8 engine block that the river dropped there, or find a golf ball squashed flat between huge seemingly immovable boulders that the river shifted around.

Still it would be interesting to see the world through his eyes for a day - I’m sure it’s all magical and glittery.

When their forfeiture market partially dries up due to legalization it will indeed take time to pare down bloated police budgets & force the worst of the lot to get less destructive jobs.

LoL, I too would like to you to say how, in what way, it annoys you to see a few rocks piled up.

Is it because they’re in state/national parks? Because I have to tell you, in many of those the people displaced had been building cairns for several reasons for thousands of years. These sorts of things were part of that landscape long before white men came along and declared the land there sacrosanct for your viewing pleasure. Those reasons include artistic expression, so when someone like this guy does something like that, it’s all good according to why we have state/national parks to begin with.

Some people build directional cairns where none are needed or wanted & too closely spaced to respectfully reproduce their original function, and in my opinion…usually because they just saw one & got all hippy-dippy. Those get taken down and are annoying, but that isn’t what this guy does.

1 Like

It’s better to not make assumptions about people based upon the superficialities of their appearance. If I need to know about somebodys sex or ethnicity, I simply ask them. Otherwise, I have not suffered any for not jumping to conclusions.

The Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things is greatly encouraged that the Boulder police have been reined in.

4 Likes

The slippery slope to shutting down stuffonmycat.com has been averted! Good work!