Rampage shooting at Planned Parenthood in Colorado

I was born and raised in, and have moved back to, Clearwater. They do own most of downtown but I am pretty sure christians are still the majority.

2 Likes

Terrorism, by any other name…

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/planned-parenthood/?fb=dd

“Gasoline was poured under our back door & ignited 4 times. Twice while the clinic was occupied, causing patients to be evacuated.”

“Butyric acid (used as a stink bomb) was poured under our doors & into ventilation system so many times I lost count. Clinic evacuated.”

“We received hundreds of phone calls, threatening to torch our clinic & to kill the “murdering whores” who worked there.”

“3 times someone drove by at night & shot out our windows. Picketers stood on the sidewalk & harassed employees as we swept up broken glass.”

“Our clinic offered free & low cost services in a low income neighborhood, but every day the “pro-life” movement tried to frighten us.”

“In 2009, Dr. Tiller was murdered in his own church, again by a “pro-lifer.” The goal was to scare other doctors who perform abortions.”

“The goal was to make us afraid to come to work, to make us quit, to make us close the clinic. That’s terrorism. That’s how terrorism works.”

the Anti-Defamation League says that violence against the health centers spiked in the early '90s, they wrote in 2012:

• “Anti-abortion violence has actually remained a consistent, if secondary, source of domestic terrorism and violence, manifesting itself most often in assaults and vandalism, with occasional arsons, bombings, drive-by shootings, and assassination attempts.”
15 Likes

Always a good read to read the words of Dr. Gary Romalis.

“I had been a medical doctor for 32 years when I was shot at 7:10 a.m., Nov. 8, 1994. For over half my life, I had been providing obstetrical and gynecological care, including abortions. It is still hard for me to understand how someone could think I should be killed for helping women get safe abortions.”

We lost a very good man when we lost Dr. Romalis.

10 Likes

Thought that it was AI Bill – assumed that “he” was a mozilla Artificial Intelligence experiment.

6 Likes

You mean the least common of all senses, common sense?

I get where you’re coming from, but it insists that we all become little islands more than we already are and people don’t often do that collectively.

Unfortunately, violent crime as a means of affecting public policy, i.e. terrorism, is as pragmatic a theoretical tool as they come (ha!). It works for some even when it doesn’t achieve the often un-achievable goal.

Had we better policed our use of language and media/mediums back a few decades, and never allowed terrorism to escape the boundaries of crime, it might be different. But ratings! But votes! But the need for War for ratings and votes! But the root of it all, money! And the genie is out of the bottle, putting it back in is a greater chore than trying to apply these impregnated terms evenly so as to negate the imbalance they create.

In some cases, many in fact, common sense is what people would call what happens today with the weird and wild world of terror terminology and the associated laws.

As in, it’s just common sense for me to help stoke this fire of statistically negligible crime that results in great fear and wild public policy changes at every level, because I own stock in companies that will gain vast wealth with the creation of a “Homeland Security” or something.

Common sense is totally subjective, even if it can be found, you can’t rely on it for anything.

3 Likes

I’d cut funding because the surly index got turned up too high then. Different weighting is necessary.

That said, if it is an open source project, maybe the surly is just right based on what I’ve seen from RMS and Linus Torvalds.

4 Likes

Isn’t this Linus from an alternate dimension?

7 Likes

Yes but the idea of terrorist attacks is getting as much attention and fear out of your little rampage as you can, in the hopes the resulting terror will provoke an overreaction. And sadly it works, a lot of the time.

6 Likes

I a not afraid of terrorists. I am more worried about icy stairs or soap in the bath, in comparison they provide way higher risk of death or injury.

What I worry about is the reaction of the Governments, both mine and the Brussels Boondonglers. More “security”, more inconveniences, more restrictions, more criminalization of what used to be perfectly normal and free. Less freedom to be odd and unusual, too.

I worry about the War on the Unexpected, as Schneier calls it.

8 Likes

i had no idea the doctor had such a mouth on him… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

F u, u f’n f’er, just f’n make some f’n papercraft already! :slight_smile:

okay, this isn’t really on topic, but i am distracted easily and there was some sort of thought thread and remotely connects back somehow…lol.

4 Likes

Kiryas Joel?

1 Like

enh it has run the course of useful discussion mostly.
is there a papercraft Sontaran?

3 Likes

5 Likes

Peltiers are good for cooling. For heating, just lay under the surface some tubes and connect them to the waste heat rejection system of the basement reactor. Or put in some radioisotope heaters.

And a simpler way could be a no-skid bottom of the bath, combined with a fixed-mount liquid soap dispenser. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

3 Likes

Thought:

Could a micro-reactor be used to synthesize hot asphalt in quantities useful for enhancing the the coefficient of friction in the shower? It can likely be worked up on a CNC or ESD machine, then we can prototype the controllers using leftover Easter ducks as a test bed.

4 Likes

there is, but it isn’t as good as the two i posted previously, hard to paper craft a potato with arms and legs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Several citations of those very words, right here. Ok? Citation Provided.

Would you like now to argue about if he was or was not objectively yelling? Sheesh.

7 Likes

I’d go for either in-situ 3d printing or for moulding or casting of a suitable elastomer.

Maybe even go for a commercial off-the-shelf mat used for that purpose, but bond it with silicone along all the mating surface for enough security and seal along the edges for easier cleaning.

2 Likes

I think the line is that the Emperor was at the mercy of Tojo. Which was more or less true. For a certain value of truth versus political expediency on Tojo’s part.

1 Like

Medford might be nice, someday.