Randomized dystopia generator that goes beyond the Bill of Rights

[Permalink]

I kept reloading, but I couldn’t find a right that hadn’t already been curtailed, or had at least one of the major political parties attempting to curtail it, in the Western world.

4 Likes

Apparently we already live in all the randomized dystopias.

3 Likes

I checked ten of these basic rights, neither counting repeats, nor statements about individual obligations to communities. I have been denied, to greater or lesser extent, seven of these basic rights. I suspect that’s about average for Americans, with some suffering additional denials of rights to racism and poverty, and some not suffering certain denials of rights due to ableism and cisheterosexism.

Use to be that a dystrophy was when the world gets nuked and there’s mutant rapist cannibals everywhere hunting for gasoline.
Now it’s a dystopia if your dual citizenship is revoked.

Are you kidding? The US, as a condition for release from imprisonment without due process or trial, sent someone to become a Saudi citizen. If being forced to live in Saudi Arabia isn’t kind of dystopian, I don’t know what is.

I don’t know, do they have giant rad scorpions?

1 Like

I…don’t even know what to say to that. That’s satire-level dystopian (which is totally plausible, given that the Onion editors are vindicated, on average, about once a month in this crazy nation). Could you point me to a source? My google-fu is not what it used to be.

Yaser Esam Hamdi was a U.S. citizen captured in Afghanistan in 2001. He was fighting against U.S. and Afghan Northern Alliance forces, siding with the Taliban. He was named by the Bush administration as an illegal enemy combatant, and militarily detained in the country for almost three years without receiving any charges. On September 23, 2004, the U.S. Justice Department
agreed to release Hamdi to Saudi Arabia on the condition that he give
up his U.S. citizenship, though since it was done under duress it is
possible that he can later reclaim it.[citation needed]

1 Like

They revoked Emma Goldman’s citizenship, on spurious grounds, so they could semi-legally deport her.

Didn’t the Geneva Conventions say that tobacco must be permitted? Large parts of the US are in violation!

I won’t more than mention that the “right to a nationality” frequently includes the right to expel unwanted minorities or that it’s hard to guarantee the right to periodic holidays with pay to a subsistence farmer or …

So, as far as violated human rights are concerned, what are your top three?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.