Rat trapped on an escalator

They also don’t know that if they do that they’re supposed to keep to the right, and they get upset when I club them to get them out of the way.

3 Likes

Needs a better soundtrack.

1 Like

That is an awesome video.

I’m pretty sure that here in SF, animal control does not respond for rats. Or pigeons.

But before you think us too cruel; please note that we dote on our canine friends. Our actual human children…ehh, so-so.

1 Like

Maybe this story, but in reverse…

http://web.archive.org/web/20070213072942/www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/disch/disch1.html

1 Like

whoever shot this has good skills - its so stable!

1 Like

Thanks for the link!
(Starting the day listening to Gary Numan is a good way to face a monday.)

2 Likes

They respond for seagulls, so anything’s possible.

Same etiquette as in most parts of Europe I’be been. Stand to the right, let the ones on the left pass.

I wonder if the movement between steps and lip is just too far outside the normal parameters of rat navigation and it is not smart enough to break the pattern of slowing down when approaching something unusual.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. if only Mr Greengrass would hire this camera person I might go and watch his films. It is unfortunately too late for Tony Scott.

Rats race, pause, check, race, pause, check. He’s having to race just to be at the lip, and keeps trying to acquire enough data to understand what it is. If he’s focusing his eyes right on the spot, he’s going to be confused by the mobility of the step peak sections racing through the stability of the lip peak sections. His whiskers will be giving conflicting data about the stability of his destination, and that’s massively important input for rodents. It’d smell oily, but he seems ok with that when he rests.

For all that they gross people out, they’re nervous little creatures. They learn fast and well, but he’s clearly flummoxed. Additionally, after a while, his own scent and urine odours will be returning to him, which will probably confuse him even more.

Good exercise though.

4 Likes

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.

1 Like

So’s the Boomtown Rats one, I’d never heard that song. Didn’t realize they had such a strong Thin Lizzy influence, in a really good way.

Standing on the left, particularly two abreast, is definitely a sign of being “bridge-and-tunneler”. Also the gaping incredulous look of “Golly gee wowzers! These city folk gotsa themselves stairs that move!”

If I were that rat I’d be running AWAY from that busker.

1 Like

I am unable to heart this statement to the degree it deserves. Club away, good sir. They’re only tourists–they’ll regrow.

My theory is that it is actually checking out all the steps for abandoned food.

If you heart the clubbing, you may need a spade afterwards. Sorry, ain’t got nothing for the remaining suit.

My reaction to city rats is that they’re furred pigeons (or pigeons are feathered rats, take your pick.) Rather cute, as possibly disease-carrying vermin go. Of course I’ve also known pet rats and mice. and I don’t generally freak out at the concept that I’m sharing my environment with other critters.

Not quite. W.C. Fields had it better. “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use in being a damned fool about it.” [close enough–there’s slight variations]

1 Like