Reporters document Sochi's Potemkin hotels

Most of these photos are pretty amusing, but the one from @wyshynski (with the sign saying not to flush toilet paper) makes me question whether @wyshynski has traveled much, as there are MANY places where the plumbing can’t handle toilet paper.

1 Like

Many of those places are not brand new at a staggering cost.

New construction for a resort hotel on the Black Sea might want to use modern engineering.

2 Likes

See also this bloggingheads.tv conversation about the Sochi Olympics - especially the destruction of and punishment given to a small village near Sochi.

Oh, and avoid the comments, which as usual are vile.

I LOVE THIS. That is all.

2 Likes

I right there with you - pretty sure that in Putin’s Russia construction is a cash business.

looks like your standard Russian/Central Asian hotel room to me.

at least there hasn’t been time for mildew and mold to set in between the carpet and subflooring…

Sadly, I’ve experienced mold in hotel rooms in middle Georgia, USA.

Or the toilet paper can’t handle the plumbing.

Already looking like Sochi will go down as the Waterworld of Olympic productions.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing as you in the article about the toilet paper/waste basket tweet. Uhh… yeah… that’s normal. Even in a TGI Fridays in moscow (summer 2001) requested people to do that. Bangalore India (fall 2004) had the same premise. LOL.

Indeed. At least they have some Olympics or something. We’ve handed trillions to some rich bankers and all we have so far are some Potemkin jobs and a looming bond market collapse.

3 Likes

I thought Putin liked to remind everyone that he thinks he’s some kind of Greco-Roman wrestling champion, what with all of his shirtless outings in public.

Although I suppose there’s no reason he couldn’t do both simultaneously.

Reminds of an older Boing Boing post:

Does it make any difference that the $50 billion Putin has his grimy paws on doesn’t come out of American taxpayer dollars while Romney’s $1 billion does? It does to me.

But more importantly, MItt’s corruption is nothing compared to the US banking system’s corruption, which to date is being measured in the trillions. I can spot that difference. I take issue with holier-than-thou pronouncements about corruption coming from “journalists” who, if the 2008 financial crisis had been caused by any other banking cartel in any other country would be ranting and raving about the terrible criminal corruption of Corruptistan’s financial sector and demanding that something MUST BE DONE. Until our media starts getting honest about the crimes of corruption being committed right here at home I don’t want to hear them go on about foreign scams, the implication being that we are so much cleaner.

1 Like

I’ve experienced it in fucking Kensington.

And they used to be so good with fabrics

Well, you can at least excuse the sports journalists for not reporting on the corruption in the financial industry, yet choosing to report on the corruption in these Olympics™ (the finance world isn’t really their field). The mainstream media, not so much.

My personal favourite:

Also on the bright side: I just washed my face with Evian, like I'm a Kardashian or something.

— Stacy St. Clair (@StacyStClair) February 4, 2014
1 Like

It will all be fine when the oligarchs are ready to retire to the black sea though.

“but no doorknobs?”

Apparently there’s one doorknob, but everyone has to share it.

2 Likes