RIP, HR Giger

[Permalink]

1 Like

No further information was given if Giger will be buried in a scary techno-phalic coffin.

6 Likes

Cultural/generational reference point: I wonder how many people here had their first exposure to Giger from this?

[And, come to think of it, how many would admit to it?]

Edited to clean up formatting.

7 Likes

Dedicated to an amazing artist whose futuristic work will ironically influence others well into the future.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SsFg0Hu/

9 Likes

My nightmares will never be the sameā€¦

1 Like

RIPley

7 Likes

Giger, Moebius, Syd Mead. Our present world and visions of the future would not be the same without them.

5 Likes

I would admit it. I fucking loved Giger. I donā€™t care. I said it.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Oh, me too - to be honest I was thinking of the music. So much of the stuff I used to love [early Monty Python, anyone?] seems to mix still-awesome with embarrassingly appalling.

That said, Iā€™ve just listened to that link for the first time in I donā€™t know how long, and itā€™s still closer to awesome, though I seem to have changed my mind about which bits were awesome and which tended towards crap. (Whatever next, Grateful Dead?)

2 Likes

I love that album. I think Iā€™m going to listen to it today in honor of Gigerā€™s passingā€¦

4 Likes

Farewell to a brilliant artist and dark visionary. And thank you for not just posting a photo of his Alien design; these are terrific examples of his work and freaked me out in the best possible way as a teenager. Iā€™m especially glad to see the photo of him wearing his safety-pin sunglasses, which are described in depth in the early Taschen book I bought as a teen but, weirdly, not shown.

2 Likes

His first film work that wasnā€™t

5 Likes

This is terribly sad newsā€¦

Also, I think today is the first time Iā€™ve ever seen a picture of Giger himselfā€¦ thatā€™s kind of odd.

2 Likes

It wouldnā€™t surprise me if his dying wish was to have his ashes fired from a penis-gun loaded with bullets shaped like alien fetuses.

3 Likes

Awww :frowning:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll always remember Giger as the man who mined the unimaginable depths.
Sometimes, when nearing unconsciousness of whatever sort, Iā€™ll catch a glimpse of this one.

4 Likes

Well, Python is basically mainstream now - I stopped referencing it when I realized that everyone was already in on the joke - it was tired (still brilliant). Now, ELPā€¦I am pretty sure that the kids today have no idea who they are. I actually didnā€™t start listening them until late in life (around 17-18 - 1980 or so) so I had already been exposed to Giger through being a general weirdo.

2 Likes

Quite apart from his design of the creature from ā€œAlien,ā€ Iā€™ll always be grateful for the alien derelict that appears earlier in the film, which really looks like it had been built by beings inhabiting a completely different perceptual universe from ours. Creepy, uncanny, and wonderful.

6 Likes

My wife was greatly disappointed that he had simply fallen down the stairs. She was really expecting that heā€™d had his head eaten by an alien.

Either way, safe travels, Hans. Thanks for your dark and iconic vision.

3 Likes