Outgigering Giger with a "metalic skull"

[Permalink]

Cool to be sure, but outgigering Giger? Not even close.
Still cool though.

9 Likes

Sorry, no.
The subject, composition and skill level in that artist does not begin to even consider, maybe taking a first tentative step towards possibly thinking about maybe, if it’s sunny out, approaching the level of talent that H.R.Giger has(d).

4 Likes

It’s arguably too metallic to fully capture the 'Giger vibe. I don’t see a single ■■■■■, glistening, abnormal-but-sexually-suggestive feature anywhere.

Now, inscribed on the breastplate of the leader singer of your local black, grindcore, satanic war-metal band, I’m totally seeing it.

8 Likes

Kind of apples and oranges.

Cory, I’m glad you like it.

I’m with the others, though. It could only be considered an out-Gigering of Giger if Giger’s goal was to make knife-edged biker-art. If that was his goal, he failed miserably, and has been out-Gigered by your out-Gigerer. If not, not.

However, there’s always THIS piece by the same artist:

(source)

Giger never did NUTHIN’ like that.

1 Like

Brings to mind The Shrike from Hyperion.

1 Like

Perhaps we could settle this objectively with some kind of Giger Counter.

12 Likes

Settle for a counter-Giger?

5 Likes

4 Likes

I will cut you.

3 Likes

This. Didn’t really like the books, but the Shrike freaked me the fuck out.

2 Likes

Giger was a trained architect, which is apparent in his usage of perspective and composition. His mastery the airbrush also allowed him to layer viscera-like skeins over machinery, creating a juxtaposition of the organic, with it’s growth, lusts and entropy, with the antithetical, the mechanical.
His was a very powerful prescience of the world that we are entering into now.

I don’t see any of that here.

1 Like

15 Likes

Character fan art? Nope.

Where do you find the time?

Ha, took about 3 minutes…

8 Likes

Cut it out! You make it look so easy, all my friends and family will be expecting me to turn out stuff like that in under six days.

(I’m a truly crapulent visual artist. My stick figures couldn’t audition for xkcd with both hands, a ruler, a compass, a boxful of Blackwings, and a graduate degree. None of which I have, except the hands.)

2 Likes

ahh, the subtle distinction between “deep” and “merely busy.”

Best comment thread EVAR.