Scientist studies Diplomacy game to reveal early signs of betrayal

[Read the post]

1 Like

Am I overly jaded, or is 57 percent accuracy nothing to brag about?

1 Like

Depends. If the humans have (say) 30% accuracy, it is very brag-worthy. 57% can be a lot in some contexts.

2 Likes

Depends how common betrayal is. It’s not a necessary part of the game. If only 1/10 betray, predicting over half of them is impressive. If everybody betrays, then why didn’t you know that?

1 Like

Teaching an algorithm the utter ruthlessness needed to play Diplomacy?

Do they actively want to create skynet?

4 Likes

you can make a lot money in the stock market with 48% overall accuracy. You can also get close to beating blackjack (“twenty-one”), assuming you’re not forced to bet the same amount every time.

For a lot tasks, 57% is fantastic. For predicting a human interaction? sounds pretty good to me.

5 Likes

How difficult can it be? They’re playing Diplomacy; the betrayal rate is surely going to approach 100%? Are some of these algorithms predicting non-betrayal?

2 Likes

I will have you know Austrians are usually excessively polite and willing to stab you in the back.

1 Like

The question is whether it was able to pick the turn on which the betrayal would happen. 57% would be absolutely astounding if so.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.