Second Baltimore cop cleared of all charges in Freddy Gray death

That’s it, in a nutshell. That’s exactly it.

2 Likes

The Gray family’s attorney, Billy Murphy, seems to have a different take on things:

The attorney for the family of Freddie Gray is commending the judge who acquitted a police officer charged in Gray’s arrest and says the family respects the verdict.

Billy Murphy said Monday that Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams should be commended for “not bending to public opinion in analyzing this case.”

Murphy obtained a $6.4 million settlement for Gray’s family. He says he doesn’t think anyone should be upset by the verdict. He says Gray’s family was looking for a fair process based on evidence, and that there’s no reason to remove Williams from the rest of the cases.

You can hear a few seconds of Mr. Murphy speaking at the tail-end of this 3:30 NPR clip.

Perhaps the prosecutors were swinging for the fences in this case, when they should have been playing small ball…

2 Likes

If a some guys stick up a liquor store and one of them flips out and kills the cashier, they’re all going down for murder, even the driver who didn’t even go into the store. That’s a widely-acknowledged principle in modern American jurisprudence. Which highlights the double standard here even more – hell, it drapes blinking Christmas lights all over it.

11 Likes

Interesting. Clearly someone is culpable for this, but perhaps not this guy.

Yeah but this issue is a bit different. The cops didn’t get together ahead of time and plot to commit a crime, which is where the the above law comes into play. Plus, where does one draw the line? Theoretically the whole department could be held accountable.

(And that law also is kinda bullshit some times. Sure they would all be culpable for the robbery, but one guy gets unprofessional and shoots someone, I have a hard time thinking the driver should have the same punishment.)

Now you’re talking. How about all U.S. police departments being held accountable for their entrenched racist biases? Systemic racism being what it is and all.

3 Likes

Indeed. But-

Also indeed-

3 Likes

True, but not my point. I wasn’t referring to “known associates”, I was referring to racial profiling.

Maybe someday the cops will murder an unarmed corporation guilty of no crime.

On that day we’d see reform.

3 Likes

It goes even further than that…

If some guys stick up a pharmacy, and the pharmacist murders one of the robbers, the other robbers are found guilty of felony murder.

http://newsok.com/article/5426708

3 Likes

That principle relates specifically to when committing a felony, which armed robbery falls quite clearly under.

So, binding (for example, with handcuffs), torturing (say, with some light to heavy beating) and killing a man isn’t a felony?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.