Shadow, a "dream-recording" app

[Permalink]

1 Like

gradually transitions users through their hypnopompic state, that not-quite-asleep, not-quite-awake phase

a.k.a. the best part of every day.

1 Like

Did someone mic my conversation with my daughter on the ride to school, then write a product announcement about what we had just discussed? Dreamy.

if we’re successful, we will change the course of human history

Well, duh. If you’re asking for my eight dollars, I expect no less.

1 Like

Seems like as good a thread as any for this query: are there any good apps out there for improving attention/focus/flow? Whether through biofeedbackish means, or game-like exercises, or otherwise?

The gentle alarm sounds like a quick PHP script I wrote years ago. It starts playing music from my computer through the stereo and slowly raises the volume from silence to loud-enough-to-wake-me-but-not-shock-the-shit-out-of-me.

http://weirdly.net/software.php?category=php&viewcode=Alarm%20Clock#anchor2

1 Like

I know there are a bunch of chime type apps that are intended to remind you to tune in when the chime goes off.

1 Like

Caveat emptor: you’ll remember your nightmares just as vividly as the rest of your dreams.

1 Like

Is this making anyone else think of Until The End of the World? Also, perhaps this is cynical, but seems like a database of dreams would somehow get used for marketing or some other nefarious purpose. In the article it does say you don’t have to share your dreams, and if you do they are “identity cleansed”. I dunno…seems like anything on your phone these days is up for grabs.

For some years now I’ve been keeping a pocket size voice recorder in my nightstand drawer. When I awake and remember a dream, I record what I can remember. Normally the recording begins with the most recent part of the dream (right before waking), but I usually find that the act of concentrating on what I remember stimulates more memories of earlier dream segments. Most recordings run 2-4 minutes, but some dreams have taken as long as 10-12 minutes to record.

Every few months, when the recorder’s memory fills up, I dump it to a hard drive on my main desktop. That drive is eventually backed up to an offline portable drive.

I don’t do cloud storage, so none of this ever leaves my home. (Much as I’d like to have a backup stored offsite, there’s no other place I can think of which has the same level of legal protection as my own home.)

Which brings me to my point, I guess. This app does have some clear advantages over my system, but privacy isn’t among them.

Unless some spook breaks into my house and plants a trojan on my computer, I’m the only one who will ever have access to my dreams, some of which are pretty damn personal.

On the other hand, anything on a mobile phone is inherently insecure. I have my doubts that this app can guarantee the kind of privacy I want for my dreams. Prove me wrong.

2 Likes

Unless some spook breaks into my house and plants a trojan on my computer, I’m the only one who will ever have access to my dreams, some of which are pretty damn personal.

I wonder if someone could also get into a mess if they describe a dream and someone listening doesn’t understand the context and thinks they’re making a terroristic threat or something?

Shit happens, that’s for sure…

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2013/04/30/relationship-connection-my-son-is-being-punished-for-his-sketch-of-a-bully/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.