Smart critical essays on the women of Terry Pratchett

[Permalink]

1 Like

“historically one of the problem genres…”?

This implies thereʼs a genre of fiction which historically hasnʼt been problematic, in its portrayal of women, and therefore, of people of all genders, gender being a system of relationships. Iʼd be interested to learn which genre that would be… :wink:

4 Likes

I’m actually just a few pages short of finishing Maskerade right now. I’m reading them for the first time, in order.

4 Likes

Feminist literature tends to at least try, although some of the older stuff can have problems with nonwhite and/or transgender people.

1 Like

The Witches books were the ones where Pratchett seemed to me like he was extending himself the most.

1 Like

Tiffany Aching is one of my favorite literary characters - ever, and Pratchett seems quite fond of her himself.

2 Likes

Susan Sto-Helit & Granny Weatherwax are up there with my favourite characters of all time.

On a slight tangent, I have this feeling that when Pterry passes, he’ll have “I aten’t dead” put on his headstone…

5 Likes

The so-called “Golden Age of Detective Fiction” was pretty favorable toward women, possibly because so many authors in the genre (Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham, the various women who wrote under the pseudonym Carolyn Keene, etc.) were women.

1 Like

He may also pass on the series to his daughter Rhianna. She’s got a similar style to him, she helped write the story for the Overlord series of games.

1 Like

Great, aren’t they? He’s a perfect mix of absurdity and heart.

2 Likes

Thanks for recommending tansyrr’s articles, and costing me an evening’s reading time :slight_smile: They were highly worthwhile.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.