Snowden invited to testify in Germany (with safe passage) over NSA spying

I understand that nobody abroad has much reason to know Ströbele, but that makes about as much sense as saying that Jesse Jackson might be an agent provocateur for the Klan. Some things are just not very plausible if you are familiar with the people involved.

Wow. People still say anti-American? I haven’t heard that since Nixon.

1 Like

History is full of people “beyond suspicion” who turns out being compromised. Also, your analogy lacks proportion: it would be more like saying Jesse Jackson might have been an agent provocateur for the FBI, which is not that implausible (quite a few '70s activists turned out to have been informants, especially after they died).

I’m not accusing Ströbele, I’m just saying that perceptions depend on the paranoia level you choose to work by, and in a case like this, the level I’d pick is probably much higher than average.

Were you asleep in the 8 years George W. Bush was in charge?

2 Likes

It would probably be a good idea for Snowden to get out of Russia before the year is up. At some point Putin will decide to cut him loose, and I have no doubt whatsoever that the Russian authorities would ‘sell’ him to the US for some other goal.

Germany at least has a functioning democracy and an active press, not to mention the recent memory of what happens when you suppress either of them. Not a bad place to end up. And highly technically oriented as well - a fellow might be able to get a job doing more than tech support.

1 Like

Seeing how “our” government went bananas exacting revenge on Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange, it would be pure fucking poetry for Snowden to evade their wrath. At some point, the rest of the world is going to have to tell Uncle Sam to straighten up and fly right. I hope that moment is now.

4 Likes

if you can’t trust the Germans, who can you trust?

Shorter Snowden: “Bitte, Frau Merkel, rette mich von dieser scheiss Russland! Es gibt nichts zu tun ausser saufen, die Frauen sin haesslich, und es gibt auch nut scheiss am Fernsehen!”

You troll.

Ströbele (not Ströebele) is well known for his refusals to honor the Pope, the putin Putin and the selected President Bush in the Bundestag.
When asked to rise he leaves the room.

Ströbele explaining why he refused to honor the Pope by having him speak in the Bundestag:
“Ich gucke mir genau an, wem ich Ehre zuteilwerden lassen will und wem nicht.”
“I choose carefully whom I honor and whom I don’t.”

He calls Putin a “flawless democrat”, not forgetting to close his sarcasm tags.

3 Likes

Yeah but he ends his sentences with two spaces. Two!

I’ve never been able to trust a man/woman that does the two spaces. /s

A masterful move. Well played, Deutschland! Now we can only hope those in the US Congress feel properly ashamed of leaving this to others to resolve…

Anybody who speaks German can’t be bad.

1 Like

Then you haven’t been paying attention for the past five or ten years.
(Hint: Google “Michelle Bachman”)

Wow - That someone from the US ( or the UK, I’m assuming) STILL has the gall to make Nazi references/accusations after the recent revelations … hypocrisy at it’s maximum.

2 Likes

“Ströbele”
It’s either just the umlaut OR the transcription of the umlaut as the base vowel with an ‘e’ attached. Never both. (That’s just something marketing [expletive deleted] use when they try to come up with a ‘cool’ name.)

The Green Party has very little sympathy for Putin as his policies are not quite compatible with their’s:

1 Like

Nope. He grew up in West Germany and jutst wasn’t that interesting for the Stasi.
But he has been monitored by the West German authorities (Verfassungsschutz, Politische Polizei, etc.) which never kept him from speaking his mind.
I don’t see eye to eye with him in many respects, but I value and respect his integrity.

3 Likes

I’m an American living in Europe, and I think the Americans reading/commenting in the U.S.A. need to realize that this is a much bigger issue in Europe (and especially Germany) than it is in the U.S.A.
There was a lot of talk of giving Snowden asylum in many EU countries, and I think that if the Germans, used this as a ruse to extradite him to the US, the political ramifications would be enormous.

3 Likes

Talk is cheap it seems.

Or the last five years under Obama for that matter. The ObamaDem crowd now parrots the same sort of stuff.

I only have one question. Did Snowden change his name to снегaден (snega-den)?