South Korea's brutalized, disabled slaves

[Permalink]

1 Like

The descriptions are so horrifying I kept reading North Korea until I had to stop myself to wonder about where and how court documents were getting out. Nope. South Korea.

18 Likes

Ugh, that physically hurt to read.

3 Likes

Just one more example of our amazing species living up to our transcendent potential.

8 Likes

And yet this is normal in a lot of places - including supposedly advanced nations.

2 Likes

I hear weā€™re pretty good at it.

5 Likes

Dynacorpā€™s wiki page mentions their dalliances.

Couldnā€™t find much on the halliburton sex slave stuff but

More:

KBR, Inc. (formerly Kellogg Brown & Root) is an American engineering, procurement, and construction company, formerly a subsidiary of Halliburton

3 Likes

How odd to hear that both the police and the church turned a blind eye to the needs of people unable to fend for themselves. Of course it was for a good cause, business needed the bodies. What an unholy trinity business cops and churches.

7 Likes

In the United States, disabled people were exempted from the minimum wage, and are often pressured into sheltered workshops which can mean hidden abuse with no way out.

7 Likes

sad. so sad.

Fucking. People.

4 Likes

ā€œWeā€™reā€ is the whole damn lot of us. Dark corners like this exist the world over and yet people abide. I know this isnā€™t any more helpful than shouting into the void, but Iā€™m angry and itā€™s all Iā€™ve got.

5 Likes

Yes, think of Goodwill, which is often presented as a noble institution. The truth is otherwise

5 Likes

Between exchange student friends, coworkers from Korea, and a few tae-kwan-do retreats in Korea I was sent on as a kid I have seen a bit of the wack-a-do that is part of the Korea experience. It is a mix of local culture, many years of Imperial Japanese occupation influence, Protestant and Catholic missionary, a cold war standoff that held back total and probably nuclear civil war with the north which included pretty universal army service, and undiluted nationalism from a recent revolutionary war that we call WW-II.
Korea is a bootstrap from nothing wonder because that is baked into the culture, there is that well known ā€˜be usefulā€™ expectation, at least now they donā€™t universally treat boys to corporal or pain position punishment in schools for even minor offenses anymore. Social rank is also strictly observed and demanded by the ā€˜bettersā€™.
Korea is great, as are the people, but they are extreme in many ways; an Asian mirror to the US perhaps.
Non-heroic disabled are considered as an embarrassment by too many on both sides of the pacific and often treated badly if they do not have the means to buy a better social position.
(edit) The good news is that things eem to have vastly improved since the mid 80s, matching nearly everything in Korea.

The overarching problem seems to be S Koreaā€™s neglect and disdain for the disabled. As the article points out, some of these slaves actually prefer to stay at the salt farms because life on the outside is even worse.

1 Like

I think the revolutionary war the Korean War and not so much WW-II (where they were stil under Japanese control). The end of the detente and the resumption of armed hostilities would probably not have resulted in a nuclear civil war until at least 2006, since the North didnā€™t have nukes until then and the South still doesnā€™t.

Yeah, this reminded me of the NYT article from this last year: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/03/09/us/the-boys-in-the-bunkhouse.html
Not all that different.

3 Likes

From the mid to late '50s massive employment of tactical nukes for general warfighting purposes were part of most US planning in Korea until the '90s much like at the Fulda gap. Tactical nuclear aircraft bombs, missiles, artillery shells, recoilless rifle shells(like a largish bazooka), even backpack engineering charges were kept in country until George HW withdrew tactical nukes except some aircraft bombs in Europeā€¦

1 Like

I agree with you, but wanted to point out that South Korea IS an advanced nation, just not a Western one.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

2 Likes