Spaghetti-Os remembers Pearl Harbor in the most crass and tasteless way imaginable

[Permalink]

Suddenly, my suggestion a few years ago that the local paper try to get a full-page ad from the local Mitsubishi dealership for their Pearl Harbor section seems a lot less crass.

7 Likes

my reaction, as voiced by Ray Allen in the role of Jesus Shuttlesworth:

My reaction to Spaghetti-Osā€™ marketing dept, that is. The meme is great.

1 Like

These are great, but the Kent State parody is probably the most biting. Be warned, itā€™s not necessarily graphic, but pretty dark, so replace the [slash] from the link with a /.

http://imgur.com[slash]nz2OeGm

2 Likes

Surely the Kent State one hasnā€™t been purged from the internet, but itā€™s gone from that link. Anybody have it? Some sick part of me wants to see it.

http://i.imgur.com/eSuPYNv

Add ā€œ.jpgā€ to make it work. I darkly chuckled at it for a long time.

EDIT: Oh, it works without the .jpg. Neat.

1 Like

It seems they took the original down, does anyone have a link to it?

2 Likes

HuffPo has it, plus some more comments.

2 Likes

I saw some suggestions that this has increased Spaghetti-Os brand awareness a thousand percent. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this resulted in a boost in sales.
One tweet I liked:
ā€œYeah, yeah, keep laughing, but I bet you guys hadnā€™t thought of @SpaghettiOs in years until yesterday.ā€ - @seph_barker

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t we be able to see through the Spaghetti-Oā€™s ā€œmouth?ā€ Where is the tongue coming from? Why does everything throw a shadow on the ground but not on anything else? And why doesnā€™t the flag have an inked outline like the character?

Crass insensitivity is just the tip of the iceberg with this shipwreck.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty crass and tasteless, but Iā€™m going to nominate this Wrigleyville bar for most crass and tasteless Perl Harbor memorial.

Oh, I can imagine far worse than that.

Sooo itā€™s offensive to show a mascot holding an American Flagā€¦thatā€™s actually all I remember from 2001 till about 2007.

8 Likes

I honestly donā€™t understand what was so tasteless about the original tweet. That people ran with is more of a controversy than the original posting itself. shrug

I donā€™t think the outcry is about sensitivity to all the people that died that day, or the reminder of the kickoff to Americaā€™s entry into the war, itā€™s the crassness in that a company would think ā€œGreat synergy to market our product!ā€ The flag-wielding cartoon pasta blob was just the icing on the cake.

3 Likes

At work today, an older customer mentioned that today is Pearl Harbor day, that it meant more to him than it would to some of the younger people around. A co-worker said ā€˜Is it Pearl Harbor day? Congratulations!ā€™.

WRONG SENTIMENT! I said.

6 Likes

[quote=ā€œL_Mariachi, post:11, topic:15869ā€]
Crass insensitivity is just the tip of the iceberg with this shipwreck.
[/quote]

I see what you did thereā€¦

1 Like

how often are you visiting internet k-hole? I updates like once every two months!

Actually, yes, tasteless, thanks for the warning. But your post sent me on a wild Kent State Wiki-fu, and I learned a bunch of stuff just now. Thanks!

3 Likes