Stross's Neptune's Brood: science fictional companion to Graeber's Debt

Neptune’s Brood is Charlie Stross’s newest, weirdest and most thought-provoking book. It’s technically something of a followup to Saturn’s Children, a funny, sexy late-Heinlein robosexual pastiche, but as the action takes place millennia after Saturn, and as the mood and substance of this book are totally different from it, they’re hardly related, properly speaking. What… READ THE REST

This, the new Magicians novel by Lev Grossman, and the next Banks Culture novel :frowning: are my biggest anticipations. And I only get 2 out of 3.

Hmmmm… a little less excited about this than I was when I just thought it was something of a sequel to Saturn’s Children, but I’ll still pick it up. But when they say ‘transhuman’… I assume they mean through robots? Cause I thought all human life was gone in Saturn’s Children? Or is there a more significant change to the universe in the thousands of years between them?

As to anticipated books as the above poster mentioned, lacking a new Culture novel, my most anticipated books right now are Echopraxia, Peter Watt’s sidequel to Blindsight, and Karl Schroeder’s Lockstep, whatever that turns out to be. And if Vinge will ever finish his next Zones of Thought book because I’m rereading Children of the Sky and it’s not enough. :P. I’m sure there are plenty of others (and quite a few books that are already out that I haven’t gotten around to reading).

About halfway through right now, and really enjoying it, quite a few chuckles as well, in typical Stross style (ie you have to know random facts to get some of the jokes). My favourite line so far is about a civilisation running a gift economy, which uses small spheres of plutonium as coins. The point being that any attempt at hoarding will result in the the plutonium going critical.

@ghostly So far all of the characters are robots/androids in the same style as Saturn’s Children.

SPOILERS FOR SATURNS’ CHILDREN BELOW

There are some resurrected humans knocking about the galaxy, known as the ‘Fragile’, although, true to their name “they have gone extinct at least three times”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.