Technical analysis of terrorist graphic/brand design

So what if the organizations suck? It’s still an interesting topic.

At the risk of Godwinning this discussion, the Third Reich owes no small portion of its success to its brilliant marketing and branding strategy. The Swastika made for a clean, bold and powerful logo that combined ancient symbology with a modernist aesthetic. The uniforms were intimidating but fashionable. The propaganda posters and films were emotionally stirring and so well-crafted from a technical standpoint that they continue to influence artists and filmmakers today. The Nazis committed acts of unspeakable evil, but they wouldn’t have attracted so many followers in the first place if they didn’t know how to market themselves.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned this before, but the NRO totally ripped off that logo from the United Underworld.

4 Likes

Jeez, it’s not like analyzing artwork is showing support for the goals of any of these groups. When I was a kid I always loved looking at the page of “flags of the world” in dictionaries and encyclopedias. Just because I thought the flag of Angola looked kinda cool didn’t mean I was at all interested in Angolan politics. I still think the old Soviet flag was a more striking design than the pre-revolutionary Russian flag they brought back.

2 Likes

And you think that marketing is not a subset of engineering*?

Lend me some more spare-time on your neural processor then. I have some completely non-social-engineering-related “simulations” I’d like to run in your “spare cycles” …

That you are mouthing propaganda without really thinking about it. After all, the Nazis during WWII called the Resistance ‘terrorists’ & they were: they blew up trains & bridges, assassinated public officials & soldiers, all basic terrorist operations.

I think I typed it, actually.

Best. Mission badge. Ever.

1 Like

We should really shut down the History Channel. They are always giving airtime to that horrible Hitler guy.

Hey. Fuck you guys with your hair-splitting semantics. AFAIK, Terrorists = people who kill others at random, including moms and little kids. Kill people who don’t deserver to be killed. For some political purpose. Or not, just for fun. They are murderers.

I don’t get how or why sociopaths have a logo.

FTFY (Semantics?)

By that definition, the Angry Brigade were not terrorists.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.