Technical pants for business-casual wear

Functionality is a nerd’s paradise.

Betabrand make dress sweatpants. I like the look of the pinstripe ones.

Don’t own them so can’t comment directly, but I do own a couple of pairs of their cordarounds that I like a lot (also their japants and karate casuals - I went through a period where I bought all my trousers from them :smile:)

North, south, east, and… what was that other one?

You go for that. I’ll take my $200 and buy five pairs of Carhartts.

1 Like

I’m also a fan of Outlier pants, having a pair of their riding pants and their slim dungarees. You can read my comparison of several different brands of “bike to work” pants here: http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/bike-to-work-pants/

For those objecting to the price tag: you are getting something made in the US. The fabric does not work miracles: they’ll keep you pretty dry for about half an hour in the rain, but even after they soak through, you’ll still feel better off than in a pair of jeans.

The only caveat is that I wouldn’t bother with any colour other than black. The other colours pick up grease stains, and they have a bit of the weird polyester double knit look to them.

Winter…

what’s that?

Well if you figure what you are not spending on gasoline, perhaps that offsets the cost some. These would be useless to me, but obviously I’m not their demographic anyway so there’s really no point in complaining that these might be some one else’s most useful piece of clothing.

this. Dickies come in every color and can look very classy with a fresh press in them. i dunno if they absorb oil more readily than other types of pants, but I’ve successfully gotten all oil and stains out of mine, and I’ve bussed a lot of tables and taken out a lot of trash in them.

You could have sold the $200 jeans when you were really short on cash.

Which ones? The Freedom (of movement) or Torture (my joints and crotch while sitting) version?

If you’re on either extreme of clothing sizes your options are limited.

Truly. But it’s much more of a problem for plus-size folks. Most size zeroes can find something they will fit into at a mainstream store.

Further, size 16 isn’t actually ‘extreme’ in America these days. At all. By any stretch of the imagination.

2 Likes

You’re hot blooded. Hot blooded.

Yeah, sure, in the juniors department. Super age appropriate for a forty-something, don’t ya think?

1 Like

Yeah. I’m not saying it’s good. I’m just saying that the standard reply you’re going to get is, “At least you have that option.”

Yeah, as you get tinier and tinier you can just wear children’s clothes, I guess. People who keep getting bigger and bigger… not so much.

The point really is that there are a lot more small clothes in mainstream stores than larger ones. Most small people can find something that will fit on their bodies in a mainstream store. Obviously there are some very petite or very slender people that have trouble, that’s a real thing, but there’s just no comparison between that and the very widespread and purposeful shutting out of plus-size consumers from mainstream clothing stores. Even places (like Old Navy) that offer plus-size options tend to make their plus size lines “web only” or don’t advertise that they exist at all. “Devalues the brand”. I guess our fatty money is not money they want.

Sorry to get off-topic, it just sticks in my craw. I find it hard to get excited about coolnewpants, even aside from their high pricetag, because coolnewpants ain’t made for people like me.

2 Likes

I want the old Ars Technica back.
You know, the one that didn’t have articles about $200.00 pants.

The old Boing Boing was nice too… sigh… .those were the days.

So you can toss it in the recycle bin after you soiled yourself doing squats.