Terrifying proposal for airplane seating

[Read the post]

BA business class alternates forwards and backwards like this (just a little nicer).

Taking off facing backwards is…odd.

3 Likes

Making coach worse is a winning strategy for airlines.

A winning strategy.

5 Likes

Obligatory The Onion:

United Airlines Exploring Viability Of Stacking Them Like Cordwood

19 Likes

I think that I’d prefer that half standing seating.

Edit: especially if the pilot did a few steep climbs-n-dives to give it a nice roller-coaster vibe.

11 Likes

Bunks for everyone! They could be built with privacy, even if quite narrow and would allow you to stretch out.

5 Likes

Get rid of the aisles and hand out feed bags and catheters.

21 Likes

I always imagined that this was the obvious next step in the security paranoia, except every seat involves handcuffs and muzzles to make sure nobody can detonate a bomb or shank a flight attendant… you know, for your safety!

6 Likes

The forced intimacy will also do wonders to diminish the ancient racism between whites and greys.

9 Likes

you guys really need to check out my human caterpillar seating!

10 Likes

Beat me to it. I have insipidus, so I’d have to get up a couple times an hour. I also have sensory processing issues, so I actually have to avoid airports, buses, trains, etc. anyway.

1 Like

10 Likes

The Airline Deregulation Act passed in 1978, so you didn’t have the push towards cattle-cars before then. 1988 had the Lockerbie disaster, which ended up killing PanAm, we all know what happened in 2001, and 2004 had a big oil shock which sent fuel prices sky high. While I wish I could say that crappy service hurt profits, I don’t see it in this graph.

1 Like

Why must the hexagonal arrangement be combined with having the seats face in opposite directions? Why not just have a hexagonal arrangement?

2 Likes

Wide shoulders and narrow feet. Alternating forwards and backwards makes for more packing efficiency.

3 Likes

Is it time for my capsule hotel / airplane hybrid concept yet?

3 Likes

I’ve always hoped they’d switch to booths with tables like in diners and serve real meals.

5 Likes

Why not just have a hexagonal arrangement?

Probably because the geometry of seat backs would block access and exit.

What the heck happened in 2007?