The benefits of owning a sailboat (with footnotes)

Well there’s always tarts, trollops, and strumpets.

3 Likes

@Brainspore
@crenquis

Just turn the gravity setting to ‘off’, problem fixed.

I dream about that too. Including the air wing, of course. Then let’s see who gets the best berth at the Promenade de la Croisette!

Back in college, three guys went together and bought a similar sized boat to live in instead of the dorms…That sounded much cooler than it worked in practice…Or it was much colder once the river started to ice up and commuting in a rowboat to a tiny unheated space started to look much less appealing.

My folks took off. They sold their house and everything in it, bought a Manta 40, and went up to NYC, then down all the way to Tobago. They’re waiting for the wind to change, so they can make it through the Panama Canal. A bad-ass retirement if I ever heard one.

Most people I tell this to, couldn’t imagine leaving friends and family to go off on such an adventure. I don’t even want to leave the security and comfort of my recently rehabed house. But I think for them it is a life-long dream, and the photos they post are breathtaking.

If you’re curious, this is their blog: http://escapevelocity.mobi/

2 Likes

Worked at a yacht club where many an item was emblazoned with BOAT. I think that was sort of the point with that crowd - to own something that was a total money suck and be able to say to the world, I can BOAT at any time!

I’ll check with Mrs. rocketpj, but I am not optimistic on the whole tart, trollop and strumpet crew initiative.

1 Like

Yes. I used to crew in some race boats out of a yacht club. Some of those guys (the nouveau riche types) could tell me how much every single item on the yacht cost. I have seen winch handles that cost as much as my laptop. They work the same as my $20 winch handle, but are admittedly much lighter (carbon fibre).

For a while I raced on a Thunderbird 26 (cheap, open design plywood and fiberglass boat). We took great pleasure in defeating people on boats that were one or more orders of magnitude more expensive. When it happened at least. When we lost we always had the option of being snarky about the rich guys buying a win. Really, we could not lose, so there was always a reason for a victory beer.

6 Likes

I was looking at buying a boat once.

A friend told me that if I wanted to simulate owning a boat first, I should stand in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills.

I’m sure he stole that line from somewhere, but it’s a good one wherever it came from.

2 Likes

I’ll bet I know someone you could talk to about making that happen.

1 Like

I like “there’s nothing so expensive as a free boat”. Originally heard about cars, but I have a feeling it applies doubly so to boats, cheap boats included.

When buying something like this, I always like to hear the previous owner bemoaning how much $$ they’ve recently put into it and how much $$ they’re losing in the sale.

1 Like

See also “controlled flight into terrain.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.