Ghost houseboat washes ashore in Ireland

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/15/ghost-houseboat-washes-ashore.html

6 Likes

Sweet. Free solar panels, and likely a battery to store the power.

3 Likes

The sign said, “free houseboat.” I was just following directions!

30 Likes

Does anyone have the “before” pic before it became an undead houseboat?

3 Likes

Was going to say that it doesn’t look seaworthy, but apparently that’s not true.

6 Likes

There are some here

2 Likes

Just sit right back
And you’ll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from Newfie land,
Aboard this tiny ship.

There was no mate on the ship its true,
The Skipper was Mr. Small,
No passengers set sail that day,
For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Houseboat would be lost.
Oh, right, The Houseboat actually was lost.

11 Likes

Oh. Ummm… so much for attributing it’s state to the rigors of the North Atlantic

3 Likes

My odds on assumption is that he ran out drinking water, wrote the note and committed suicide by jumping overboard.

2 Likes

Probably. He seems to have been a well-intentioned, but impractical dreamer.

4 Likes

He should have realized that crossing the ocean in a vessel that can’t manage to make headway against the tide was a BAD, even suicidal idea.

2 Likes

why move to London when you can have this?

Because it’s haunted!!!

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about sailing that I haven’t read in books (and fiction at that) but that hull looks an absolute nightmare in the sea and the leeway would be catastrophic. Essentially, even if you had a bit of power you would only go with the tide anyway, and what he did have was his bicycle engine.

Dreamers heading out in impractical boats…

The video isn’t available on youtube these days.

“Well-intentioned but impractical” = stupid. Stupid = dead. The sea has neither pity nor compassion. It will not hearken to cries of “I meant well!” or “I did this for the love of humanity” or even 'I am one with the universe".

“Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death. There is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.” - Robert Heinlein

Christ, what an ashore!

2 Likes

Hurst meanwhile sees the craft becoming something of a tourist attraction in Co Mayo.

Do they not have any homeless youth in Ireland to give it to, as explicitly left to them by its former owner?

2 Likes

Donald Trump is alive.

1 Like

Maybe a marketing ploy for a new Tim Powers novel?

Many. Housing crisis caused by a huge bubble and a collapse in the building of social housing.

That said rural Ireland is probably pretty well served for real estate built during the boom that nobody wants, and that developers are dying to get the state to buy, it’s more of an urban problem. Houses don’t exist where people want them and there is a real accomodation crisis and renters are getting absolutely screwed.

People don’t leave Mayo and become homeless because there is nowhere to live, more because it is bleak and empty and they have no future there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.