Man dramatically rescued from a stolen boat after gifting a fish to the “Goonies” house

Originally published at: Man dramatically rescued from a stolen boat after gifting a fish to the "Goonies" house | Boing Boing

4 Likes

i don’t even know where to begin with this one. not a single thing about it makes a lick of sense.

4 Likes

Do not mess with the Columbia Bar. You can go from water as smooth as glass to shipbreakkng waves in moments.

Deadliest Catch Wave GIF by Discovery

2 Likes

my thought, exactly! Astoria, Oregon at the mouth of the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean. I’ve been over that bar and it is always hairy!
now, if this - ahem - gentleman seized a sailing vessel with little sailing experience and attempted that waterway?! hoo-boy! look out! that shit is for experienced captains only!

i’m too old for that shit now. i won’t even enter the Intracoastal at Haulover Inlet anymore.

2 Likes

Haulover seems to mostly be dangerous because of the other “captains” more so than treacherous conditions. I mean, there’s some tricky swell, but it just seems tame compared to some of our west coast bar crossings. Just a hundred or so miles south of the Columbia is the Nehalem Bar, and the mouth of Tillamook Bay, a.k.a. Jaws:

2 Likes

Does this count as a reboing? :grimacing:

hide GIF

4 Likes

I was just thinking that there are a few BB contributors who have yet to post something about the Goonies House. :thinking:

3 Likes

there are yet more questions to be answered:

1. what was the dead fish? (trout? steelhead? salmon?) how dead?
  2. was this somehow connected to it being teh “gOoNiE HoUse”? i dunno, never having seen the source material.
  3. was this the dance of this weirdly awesome, would-be pirate?
  1. umm… dude, you ever pilot a sailing vessel?
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.