Yacht dealers rely on Instagram "yacht influencers" to flip their wares

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/oligarchs-r-us-2.html

2 Likes
10 Likes

Well, that’s some depressing Blue Ant-era Gibsonian dystopia, alright. Then again, isn’t everything?

10 Likes

I knew a guy about 5 years ago that had a business filming yachts. He also was a bartender part time because rich people are cheeaaaap. He had an endless number of rich people being shitty stories. I asked why he put up with it when it wasn’t enough to even pay his basic bills. The only reason was it paid for him to see amazing places all around the world that he couldn’t otherwise afford to see.

13 Likes

We prefer to be called “yachtfluencers.”

2 Likes

Gesundheit!

4 Likes

Well, that was a depressing read…working for rich people kind of sucks… :-/

Since he’s out of the country so much I’m not sure it applies, but his undisclosed paid endorsements of all those yachts and watches violate the FTC disclosure guidelines for paid endorsements - not that the FTC enforces those much, but I sure wish they would.

2 Likes

He sounds like Jack Sparrow wistfully explaining how a ship is really the embodiment of freedom, but in a timeline where Sparrow decided to just keep kissing rich aristocrats’ butts instead of pursuing any course of action that could conceivably get him his own vessel.

6 Likes

Boats 'n Hoes
by Prestige Worldwide

6 Likes

But where will all of the new jobs come from when robots take all he old jobs? We need 21st-century jobs for a 21st-century economy. So here we have “yacht influencer”… yacht… influencer. If you wrote it in 20th-century science fiction, no one would believe it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I see some English users have ruined another perfectly good word by shifting the definition too far.
Sorry “Yacht”, you’re just another generic synonym for vessel, craft, or boat now.

1 Like

He has the knowledge & sales savvy to be one of those yacht dealers, and a good one. But they didn’t offer him that job.

2 Likes

Yacht Song

and the associated e-Trade commercial

Yacht Life

did I not mention the wally molly

THIS is how I want to see a yacht ‘flip its’ wares.’

2 Likes

Best day of a yacht owners life are the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it. If you are working for the boat you have not achieved the dream.

3 Likes

Too bad the Professor was never able to build an Internet connection out of coconut shells.

2 Likes