Yacht dealers rely on Instagram "yacht influencers" to flip their wares

It’s spelled “yacht influencer” but it’s pronounced “mangrove influencer.”

2 Likes

You mean since they use the term for ‘pleasure craft’ instead of ‘fast/hunting vessel’? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whenever I go by someone on a sidewalk, waving a sign around for money, I do not think to myself, “now there’s a place Id like to do business in!”
Rather, I wonder just what kind of economic thinking the owner uses to justify hiring a human signpost. Im sure the financial cost of this transaction must vanish into the bookkeeping of an ordinary business.

So too, I imagine the people who hire this guy to geek out about their boats. Without him, people would still be buying boats. It can be about as effective as waving a sign on the sidewalk, and they’d never notice, one way or the other.

2 Likes

Apparently a “yacht” is any non-military racing, cruising or pleasure craft on the water according to a wikipedia entry! That’s one broad definition for a useful word that’s been specifically used to describing a nimble sailing vessel for a few hundred years!

RIP “yacht”. :cry:

2 Likes

That pretty much describes how I feel about most advertising and marketing. As far as why anyone would pay this guy … you’re right that he’s not convincing anyone to buy a yacht. But they yacht manufacturers are paying him to influence people into buying one of their yachts as opposed to someone else’s. And since I suspect yacht ownership is mostly about status and not quality or performance, I can see an influencer having an effect. It’s still stupid.

Actually, the best day is the day you are gliding over clear azure water to your anchorage in the Abbacos with your family to spend a week enjoying the weather, nature, and their company for a couple of weeks away from the grind. That old buy/sell addage is for the fools that enter boat ownership without doing some basic research.

He created his job instead of waiting for someone to offer it to him. Lets hope he decides to start his own brokerage some day. Then he will be able to afford his dream and we will be able to hate him even more.

Maybe maybe not. I went to highschool with a guy who’s father sold big motor yachts. It’s the sort of thing where you make a shit ton of money on a sale, a million or more. But you may go a couple years between sales. And the market died off pretty badly about 10, 15 years back.

Guy switched to smaller, normal people boats. Mostly Boston Whalers and Grady Whites, then ended up selling cars. Believe he’s back to selling boats again. But apparently makes better money selling reasonable ones.

1 Like

yes, but that’s the definition it’s had in the last ~100 years. So you’re a bit late complaining about it . That yacht has sailed. :smile:

2 Likes

My father owns a small 22ft sailboat. It is a lot of work to keep up with the upkeep, mooring costs, shrinkwrap in winter, paining, sealing the wood trim. Our boat still looks worse than all those around it.

Boats are an enormous time vampire you really, really dont want.

I always wanted a gyrocopter like Bruce Spence, not a sailboat.

1 Like

“A hole in the water you throw money into”, as one yacht owner I know puts it (in the rueful yet resigned tone typical of addicts).

Unless they have enough money that they can jettison sense or unless they spent 3+ months per year on the vessel, smart wealthy people will usually just rent a yacht and crew for a couple of weeks at the location they want to visit* rather than buy and maintain a white elephant.

[* assuming they can spell the name of the place]

And they never will. For all his enthusiasm and knowledge and sales ability, he’s the wrong colour and from the wrong social background and country. Merit and hard work count for very little in a clubby industry like high-end yacht sales.

1 Like

Flip? Not flog?

1 Like

This never fails to pop into my mind when I hear someone talking about flipping something.

1 Like

You don’t want to go flogging the oggin.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.