The death of the checkbook

Whats wrong with just transferring the money directly into their account?

Soā€¦if you were not using the checkbook and you had been using a debit card, online banking and bill payment you would have known how much money you actually had all along?

Totes. In college, I lived the mantra: ā€œI canā€™t be out of moneyā€¦I still have checks!ā€

I agree, but can you tell the little old ladies in front of me at the grocery store still writing checks that this is the case?!

People say thatā€™s thereā€™s absolutely no reason to ā€œneedā€ a checkbook. Hereā€™s one more:

Several years ago I had the flu, and with it I had seizures. (I was so sick I probably should have died.) When I did recover I realized slowly that Iā€™d forgotten some things - and they werenā€™t inconsequential. They were things like my phone number and atm PIN. I instantly needed checks, and used them or cash for about three months while my head got better. I couldnā€™t rely on being able to remember my PIN, and I couldnā€™t carry it on my person.

Now I know that autopay doesnā€™t require a PIN every time itā€™s used, but you CAN forget to check your bank balance if you arenā€™t the one making the transaction. So there is genuine risk associated with a spotty memory and someone else having access to remove funds from your account - especially if you are forgetful and set up multiple monthly withdrawals! I never had any problem like that because this was long enough ago that autopay wasnā€™t common at all.

There are definitely ā€œbest practicesā€ to follow if you are using autopay to pay bills. For example: You should have a list (maybe written in your check register?) of all payees and the dates they may pull on. You shouldnā€™t be using autopay for any company that randomly alters their due date or amounts (like a lot of cable companies do). You should check your bank balance and activity at the very least once a week - preferably every few days.

Iā€™m really glad that @semiotix also noticed the billions part of the ā€œcheck useā€ count. There are still valid reasons to have and use a checkbook, maybe not for recurring, planned payments - but other issues do occur. (I also have two accounts where the only free access from one into the other is via check.)

Not every month, apparently :confused:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.